Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 PM

We are going to stop in Italy in June on the Norwegian Gem. We will spend one day in Florence and one day in Civitavecchia and one day in Naples. The excursions offered by the cruise seem expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions for us and our kids (14 and 10).
Thanks
Old 03-12-2009, 06:31 PM

Suggest you go to my web site and read about our Italy/Croatia cruise. We did the ports you are talking about on our own (saved $$$.) Get the kids to do research on the web on the cities and let them help plan (educational and fun.) www.ftroute.com The link for my Italian Trains site is there also.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 03-14-2009, 01:39 PM

Hi Reetrip.

Been to Italy lots of times! Crusieship excursions are very pricey and limiting especially for two children.
Driving is always our choice from Florence port. Road are good and marked well. If you have never been to Florence need to go into the city.
Car rental company very close to port is Libert Rent email:luca@libertyretn.it
You cannot drive in Florence so will need to get a map with parking spots and park for the day. There is a nice place close to Pitti Palace. Get a ticket for a tour towards end of day. Walk up towards Duomo crossing the Ponte Vecchio. Do the Duomo. We like the Santa Crocce not far from the Duomo (leather stalls behind church) then head to the Oiazza della Signoria for pizza and Gelato. Then back accross Ponte Vecchio to Pitti for your tour.
You can stop at Pisa for a quick look at the tower.

Rome is not a driving city!!!!! Again if the kids have never been to Rome..A MUST!!!!!
The train station is about a mile or so from the port an very inexpensive option to getting to Rome, it drops you at a good stop in Rome. You get get tickets to a hop and go bus right at the Train Station http://www.rometoolkit.com/wha..._hop_on_tour_bus.htm

Naples
You will want to take the kids to Pompeii. You have to hire a guide in the ruins, if you get a guide at the port to take you there you will have to hire another inside the ruins. Just so you know, you will have to pay for two guides.

Any other questions feel free to email me.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:41 PM

Thank you so much!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:39 AM

Hello,
I would raccomandate private driver for the tours. as i think you will have more for your money... and less money then the Cruise-Tours.
I used Giuseppe De Toro in naples touring the amalfi coast in a fantastic day- trip.(Don't remember the company-name, but you should find him also with the name on the net).
In Flortence I would try to contact Massimiliano Longo..Also not bad!
Old 03-26-2009, 05:27 AM

Thank you!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:17 AM

I am a bit hesitant to tell an inexperienced traveler to go off on their own, but let me lay out the financial realities. Keep in mind we have been traveling in Europe for over 30 years (cruises and driving trips) and are very comfortable anywhere on the continent. A private car/driver for Rome will probably cost you at least $500 for the day (usually about 350 Euros). If you wanted to go on your own you could take the free shuttle bus from the ship to the port entrance, walk 4 easy blocks to the Civitavecchia train station, pay 9 Euros (adult price) for a BIRG ticket which includes round trip train to Rome plus all day use of buses and subways, and than you would need a decent guide book (Rick Steves is good) to help you navigate Rome. In the end, you would save hundreds of dollars on just this one day. It is the same with every port. Doing your own thing can save you thousands of dollars and be a lot of fun. But, you need to spend a lot of time doing pre-trip homework, have some "travel smarts," and a spirit of adventure. Traveling in Europe is actually easier than the USA because they have excellent public transit and many folks do speak English (unlike some places in the USA). So, to sum up you have 3 options. You can book cruise line tours and spend a fortune. You could hire private cars and drivers and also spend a fortune. Or, you can do your research and do independent travel which saves you a lot of dollars, but does require lots of work. Only you folks know what will make you comfortable and what you can afford. Good luck and Bon Voyage.

Hank
Old 03-30-2009, 09:59 AM

Thank you for your advice!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 AM

Reebtrip morning to u, we are two guys (italian and american) living here just 40 minutes from Livorno in Carrara (worl capital of white marble) if your cruise is arriving before our scheduled trip to USA, glad to help you contact me. Paul & Bernardo

Closed Thread

Tags
brenda, cruise, cruises, day, excursion, excursions, florence, italian, italy, kids, lewis, norwegian, port, ports, review, reviews, tortola