Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 10:18 AM

I would like to take a cruise within the next month to the following ports: most greek islands/venice/france. I want to spend two days in france (maybe before the trip). Do any of you know of any reasonable private tour guides that would take me around to see the most of Paris? I would also like to stay at a Hotel on La Seine that is reasonable. I would also love to take a private tour of Rome. Since I am very limited with time, I feel this would be the best way to go. Funds are limited but any help you can provide would be wonderful! THANKS SO MUCH!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Are you sure it is a cruise you want? With the kind of touring you want to do you might consider a land tour. Cruises don't give you enough time in port to do any extensive touring--you can see a lot, and private tours are surely the way to get the most of the time you have; but time is limited and, as you say, so are funds and private tours are quite expensive.

And I don't know of any cruise that takes in Venice, the Greek Islands and France (Paris) other than maybe a segment of a World Cruise; but you want to go within the next month, so time is pretty short to plan that kind of adventure.

I think you should sit down with an experienced travel agent who can show you your different options. To me, it looks like you are trying to do too much in a limited time.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 PM

The last poster is correct in that you are trying to do too much over too large of an area. One possible solution would be to take the November 20 Celebrity Solstice 10 night cruise which begins and ends in Rome. Your solution would be to fly directly to Paris and spend a few days in Paris. Seeing Paris is quite easy on your own as long as you have a decent guide book such as Rick Steves. Private guides will add hundreds of dollars per day. From Paris you would than need to get to Rome for your cruise. You could do this on trains, but it would be cheaper to fly. You should be able to get a decent price on a multi-stop air ticket which would take you from the USA to Paris than to Rome and finally back home. As to hotels in Paris, my favorite little hotel in tucked away in the Latin Quarter and would not give you any kind of view of the Seine....so I cannot help.

Hank
Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM

Maybe I didn't make myself fully clear. My sister took a Princess Cruise and went to about three greek islands, including the mainland. She ended up in Italy where she spent about 1-2 days in Venice. She flew into Paris and spent two days BEFORE the trip. I am not such a Princess fanatic. I would rather take Royal Carribbean. However, their itinerary does not afford me the opportunity to see more, but rather less. My question is this: What places of interest would you suggest if I spent a day in Rome/ day in Venice/ day in Paris.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:39 PM

What do you think of the Celebrity Solstace? I have never taken a Celebrity Cruise before. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator

I highly recommend the Solstice. A truly different class of vessel, and in many good ways.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:05 PM
I think Hank has the solution for you; if your cruise dosen't either begin or end in Rome, you're not going to see much except the highway between the Eternal City and the port. If you go with Solstice you will have two chances to see the city.

Or if you should decide to go with Princess, whether you start or end in Venice, you will have an overnight there, which will give you some extra time.

Do as Hank suggests: fly to Paris for a couple of days; then to a cruise that starts in Rome and ends in Venice--or the reverse.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:56 PM

That's what I would like to do. However, I still would like to take a private tour in Rome so that I can see the most for my money in one day. Do you know how far Venice is from Rome?
Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Do you know how far Venice is from Rome?
330 miles or 530 kilometers.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:36 PM

I mentioned the Solstice because the OP did not reference and specific cruise. Celebrity is owned by RCI and most consider their ships a bit classier and more upscale than RCI. We enjoy celebrity because it is a more laid-back product than RCI which is very activity oriented. A day in Paris really should depend on your personal interests since it would be easy for me to plan a week in Paris. For one day in Venice we would recommend just exploring Venice on foot and certainly walking between St Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge which is a route loaded with shops, cafes, and great atmosphere. If you have an interest in Murano, you could always grab a vaporetto and go over to that island for a couple of hours. As to Rome, unless you are in the city on a Sunday we think the Vatican is certainly worth while (this can take up to half of your day). Otherwise it depends on your interest in ruins (Palitine Hill area and Colliseum). If ruins are not your thing than you might want to walk over to the Spanish Steps and Tervi Fountain area. Our personal favorite spot in Rome is the Piazza Navona, where we sometimes spend hours just sitting at a cafe) but this might not fit a hurried one-day itinerary.

Hank

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, cruise, end, france, ideas, lines, mediterranean, november, paris, rome, starts, takes, tour, touring, venice, week