Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 01:18 AM

Hi if you read my post about the NCL cruise we just got back on you will see that my only complaint was the cost of the drinks. 2 us dollars for a can of coke and don't even mention alcholic drinks, a beer cost around 7 dollars and a bottle of wine anything from 30 us dollars then they put a 15 per cent tax on the top. The coffee from the machine is free, we found that it was very weak so put three espressos in one mug and then it tasted okay but if you ordera coffee from the bars they charge you for it. Yes the gratuities are 12 us dollars per person, it soon mounts up so you really must account for this when you are budgeting. We just did the Western med on a shoe string which can be done by using the info that the guys here have posted on the forum. Amazing the train fares were for nothing especially the BIRG tickets which were offered to us at Civitaveccia for Rome at 9 euros return. The walk from the port to the staion is flat and only takes about ten minutes . I laughed when we were in Rome, we thought we would have a 'cheap' cup of coffee in Rome save us having an expensive one when we got back on the ship, that just shows you what sort of shoestring we were on but the coffee was FIVE EUROS a cup. Oh well, it was delicious and the venue outside the Pantheon was wonderful. You do get tea and coffee in your cabin and we found it was okay, also you get tea and coffee and water with each meal. Hope that helps,NCL was great, have fun. Davina
Old 11-27-2009, 06:25 AM

Do I need to bring umbrellas (winter time), or do they have on board? We are 2 adults and 2 children
Old 12-13-2009, 01:37 AM

Just one week to leave....so excited!!!

I know NCL is a free style cruise but I would like to know if there are fancy dress parties (costume).
Hope to hear from you soon
Old 12-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Regarding the umbrella question, you need to provide all your own rain gear. Trust me that if NCL had extra umbrellas they would charge you a one-day rental that cost more than the umbrella You must pack for all possible conditions. We recommend looking at the long range weather forecasts that you can get on Accuweather (they go out to 15 days) which, while not perferct will give you a good idea of the weather trends and temperatures. We always pack a couple of small Tote umbrellas and often take rain ponchos on our trip.

Hank
Old 01-16-2010, 01:10 AM

I just came back...everything was so perfect. I was afraid about the critics, but I can not complain about anything during the cruise, and of course, all the ports were amazing.

We only had a problem in rhodes, because of the weather the ship couldn't stop there but it wasn't a big deal due to it was the less important port for us.

We went on a budget so we took taxis to make our own tours, and we really saved a lot of money. In Rome we took the train, and in Crete we took the bus (2 blocks from the port)to go to knossos and we pay 2.50 Euros. In Athens we took a taxi to the acropolis (outside the port) and we pay 11 euros to go and 9 euros to come back. In Izmir we took a taxi for 70 euros, to go to Virgin Mary's house, ephesus,market and then back to the port...
The only tour we took was with Mohamed Marwan, I find him in this site and he was highly recommended, I wasn't sure about him, but I met him in the gate port in Alexandria, he waited for us more than an hour (we were late), he didn't complain, his english was perfect, he had a driver and we went to El Cairo for a 12 hours tour, the piramyds of Giza, Sphinx, Museum, market (lunch and entrance fees included), we also went to the museum which is huge. I regret we only went for the day because in Alexandria there is nothing as interesting as in El Cairo. So if you go with Mohamed Marwan asked him to overnight in El Cairo.
Mohamed Marwan is an independent tour guide and his email is maro1274@yahoo.com, you won't regret if you contact him, and of course it will be much cheaper.

I want to thank, specially HANK who was very helpful with tips in this cruise.

If I can help somebody with my experience just let me know!

I can not wait for my next cruise, maybe North Europe... any suggestions?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:46 AM

Hi,
We've been on numerous cruises, and dont take excursions. They cost so much and you are on their time table. Try researching a port you are going to and go off on your on. I bet you will enjoy it more!!! You can rent mopeds and cars if you want, or take metros, trains, buses. You will actually get the real feel for the port you are in and see more interesting things and people. Just try it once, you cant go wrong!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 03:28 PM

Truquera, Thanks for the nice comment. My wife said to tell you to "send money." Next week we are off on a 48 day cruise so we need every dollar (or Euro). We absolutely agree with your comments about Egypt. About 5 years ago we spend 2 weeks in Egypt and traveled extensively throughout the country. The only place we disliked was Alexandria (spent 2 nights there). Cairo is a fascinating city and an awful lot of fun. The other parts of Egypt we really loved were Luxor (Valley of the Kings and Queens) and the 5 day cruise we took on the Nile (between Aswan and Luxor). Perhaps someday you will have an opportunity to spend some time in Egypt on a land trip.

Hank
Old 05-09-2010, 10:17 AM

Hank,
Have a great time!!! I dont know where you are going, but i dont think it matters. LOL! 48 days of someone else taking care of my room, dinner and fun!!! WHOOO HOOOOOO!!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 AM

The itinerary really jumped out at us because it allows us to go to some new places (north cape) without having to set foot in a single airport. We had booked a 42 day cruise on the Prinsendam which embarks from NYC goes over to Portugal and eventually works itself north of the artic circle. It turned out that the cruise ended in England the very same day that the QMII leaves England for NYC. So, we couldn't resist. Now the real problem is that we do not need to practice any "luggage discipline" since there is no limitation on ships....and rather than make choices we can just take everything!

Hank
Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 AM

WOW Hank!! That is so awesome!!! You will enjoy your trip so much. When you get back will you please post about it? I would love to hear how it went!!!! Have a blast!!!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
barcelona, buy, cost, cruise, december, drinks, europe, jade, mediterranean, mediterrean, money, norwegian, review, save, ship, sodas