Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 09:47 PM

Anyone been to Taormina/Naxos on Sicily? What's there to do in 6 hours?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Well, to begin with, even the tender ride in is great; it's a beautiful bay with great vistas. Then the bus ride up to Taormina is spectacular with beautiful panoramas all around.

The town itself is something right out of a fairy tale: cobblestone streets, window boxes with flowers, cafes, shops, friendly people. One of the highlights is the 2nd Century amphitheater that has been restored and still used for concerts today. And the views in every direction are nothing short of spectacular.

I think instead of "what's there to do in 6 hours?", the question should be, "can I stay longer?" :-)

Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 PM

Agree with all that was said. We believe that you need to have a strategy for Taormina. Like much of Italy, nearly all the decent shops in Taormina will close for most of the afternoon. So, keep that in mind when you arrive at the town. You should do your shopping/browsing early (before lunch). We have seen some folks get to Taormina about 10 or 11 and than go directly to the Greco/Roman Amphitheater. By the time they start exploring the main street (where there are many decent shops) the shops are closing for the day. The afternoon closings can be maddening throughout Italy and needs to always be a consideration in planning.

Hank
Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM

Thank you F-Mattox and Hank, I forgot about the Italian siestas. Can you direct me from departing the port to Taormina? I don't know how far the port to the train station is, or how to get to the train station. The Intra bus takes about 2 hours so that would eat up too much of our time; I want to make sure I get back to port in time for departure.

thanks.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:35 PM
We took a Princess excursion, so I'm sorry, I can't help here. Ship excursions are a good idea if you are concerned about getting back to the ship in time--especially when you are in an area for the first time.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:52 AM

Keep in mind that Taormina is 30 miles from Messina. There is no train that actually goes to Taormina but rather the train stop is along the coast below the city. This means that once you get off the train you need to find a taxi or bus to take you up to the city which is a few miles away (by road). The buses used to run about every 30 minutes. A taxi from the train station up to town will probably cost about 15 Euros each way. There is also a cable car that goes up to the city, but I do not think the cable car station is very close to the train station so you would need a taxi to get to and from the cable car station. The train would be an option if you have a long port day. Otherwise, you might want to consider using the ships transportation or perhaps renting a car and spliting the cost with another couple.

Hank

Closed Thread

Tags
cable, car, cars, chat, cruise, cruises, italy, messina, port, revies, reviews, scilicy, sicily, station, taormina, tour, train