Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Europe Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/)
-   -   Livorno to Florence and Pisa by train (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/619-livorno-florence-pisa-train.html)

pink845 04-12-2009 06:46 PM

Has anyone taken the train from Livorno to Florence and then Florence to Pisa and then back to Livorno. Is this doable and how much time would we have avaiable to spend in Florence. Are trains regular between the three cities. Trying to figure if I should take the ship tour of Florence and Pisa or on my own

Jim C. 04-13-2009 07:11 AM

We did this. Went to Florence first and then to Pisa on the return trip. The trip from Pisa to Livorno is only 10 to 15 mins. So save it for last so you can better judge them time.

You might consider a taxi from the train station to the Tower in Pisa to save time. Also, in Florence if you have a known place you want to visit. It will save you some time. We walked in both places so that is possible but we were exhausted when we got back to the ship.
See the "train travel in Italy" post for more information.

ftroute 04-13-2009 07:25 PM

I know that Jim was pointing to my post, whcih can be found here:

ftroute 04-13-2009 07:27 PM

Ooops, snafu somewhere.

ftroute 04-13-2009 07:30 PM

Correct link is:Italian Trains for Cruise Ship Passengers

Also the first post under Mediterranean Ports.

pink845 04-26-2009 05:50 PM

Wow, impressive information on trains in italy. You have done all the research. I will start reading as I leave for italy and my cruise in 2.5 weeks.

nedstar 05-05-2009 09:02 AM

Take a taxi from the port to the train station Livorno Centrale, cost about € 20.
Or
Take the shuttle bus offered by NCL for €1 round trip ticket. It will leave you at the center of Livorno ( close to Trainstation ), exit the bus cross the street to the cigarette shop purchase a train round trip ticket from Livorno to Florence.
The train from Livorno to Florence is very easy and on time. Cost about € 17 p.p. round trip.

Train from Livorno to Florence

Departure station Arrival station Date Train no.
Livorno Centrale 09:11 h Firenze S. M. Novella 10:33 h 1/8/2008 3108
Livorno Centrale 10:11 h Firenze S. M. Novella 11:33 h 1/8/2008 3114
Livorno Centrale 11:11 h Firenze S. M. Novella 12:33 h 1/8/2008 3110

Train from Florence to Livorno

Departure station Arrival station Date Train no.
Firenze S. M. Novella 16:27 h Livorno Centrale 17:49 h 1/8/2008 3141
Firenze S. M. Novella 17:27 h Livorno Centrale 18:50 h 1/8/2008 11727

Don’t forget to validate the ticket by inserting it into the little yellow validation box located on the track that the train leaves from. You must also validate it on the return trip from Florence.
NOTE: If you are caught with an unvalidated ticket, the fine is 40 euro on-the-spot!

Since the train originates in Livorno and terminates in Florence simply stay on the train until it stops in both directions. Be aware that the train does make intermediate stops. However, once you arrive in Florence, the train station is only a few blocks from the epicenter of Florence tourism. When you leave the front exit of the train station look for the cathedral spire across the square. The road that will lead you to the Duomo is right on its left. You can't miss it. Be sure to get back on time to Livorno and get on the ship. There will be taxis waiting at the train station in Livorno.

Tip: take in the citties “Open Bus Tours” you can see everything and is cheaper then a taxi.

Uwe 05-13-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ftroute:
Correct link is:Italian Trains for Cruise Ship Passengers

Also the first post under Mediterranean Ports.

Very impressed! Congratulations for this link.
Uwe

losjack 06-18-2009 05:12 AM

If I buy a return ticket Livorno-Florence can I break the journey at Pisa on the way back using the same ticket?

pink845 06-19-2009 04:37 PM

Hi Everyone,
After reading all the advice, I decided to visit Florence while I was in Rome instead. We rented a car in Rome and took off to Florence - what a lovely city. We spent the entire day there, saw all the sights. And after all my queries about trains, we did not even go to Pisa. My 11 year old was just too tired. We did come across quite a few people however who had taken the train from Livorno to Florence. The train station is really very convenient for visiting all the sites. Given the possibility of train strikes at a moment's notice in Italy, give yourselves lots of time to return to Livorno. Cheers.