Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 AM

Hi, I'm 44 days away from taking my family on a Med Cruise starting in Barcelona and stopping at the following Ports! Never been on a Cruise before so this is all new to me!! I would appreciate any tips to help make this our best vacation
ever!!! Thanks in advance! Rick n Iraq

Moderator Edit- Travel Agent link removed per terms of service...
Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 AM

Hi Rockwallrick; If you have certain questions, this is the place to ask....I'm going in June on a Med cruise, but out of Rome.....I'm sure we will both have fun....amm
Old 05-17-2010, 10:16 AM

Ooops, looks like I violated the TOS on my first post! Oh Well, right now I'm just trying to figure out which Ports to Tour and how much it will cost for a family of four!! Any info on the following would be helpful! ( Genoa, Marseilles, Palma de Mallorca, Almeria, Malaga, Tangier, & Ibiza )
Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Rockwallrick,
My Mediterranean cruise was the Eastern, so I can't help you on your ports. You might enjoy though reading about others experiences in our Europe Ports section on this website. Just scroll down further to the Ports section.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Rick,

Cost will depend on what you specifically want to do. If you look at the tours offered for your cruise by the cruise line you'll get an idea of the cost and things to do. The prices for cruise line tours are typically higher than arranging private tours on your own. However, if it is your first cruise and you are going to unfamiliar places you might prefer the ease of booking with the cruise line. This also means that if your tour gets delayed, the ship will wait for you. If you do private tours you bear the responsibility of getting back in time. In those instances the ship will not be waiting for you.

Give this message thread a look for some insights on Marseille. Member Hank has significant expertise when it comes to European ports.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 AM

It is often easy to do your own thing and there is little danger of missing the ship if you are sensible
I suggest in Palma you simply take in the city-the cruise line usually puts a bus to take you to the centre (I walked it last time-too far in the heat!)Palma has a lovely cathedral etc and could take a full day
I vaguely remember Almeria as being somewhere else you can stroll around
Malaga is a lovely city and the ship docks close in-it has nice beaches etc-if you want to go further get the train to a resort (eg Benalmedena)
I have never arrived in Ibiza by ship but think they dock in Ibiza (Eivissa) town-once again this is a lovely city to look around yourself
Whatever you decide to do I hope you enjoy it-most first time cruisers rapidly become second/third/fourth etc cruisers!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 PM

RElax, you ll have a ball...heres my hints, buy some guidebooks for the ports, or use library, find out what YOU want to see and check it against the ship tours..often cheaper to do it on your own, can rent taxi at dock or just walk to many of the towns...Barcelona is great to spend a few days in before cruise, much to see and fun things to do...I always take the hop on hop off bus to get an idea of city, then go to things I want to look at more...can get alot of info if you google the city tourism site. I m leaving in a month for Adriaic Sea cruise and can t wait....like my 10th ocean cruise, also love river cruises...something to look into also...have a great time....
Old 05-22-2010, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the replys!! I just downloaded a file from the Cruise Line with the details of all of their Port Excursions! Still have 39 days
left before go time!!
Old 05-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Palma de Mallorca was one of our ports of call last month. If you want to stay in town, it is very easy to do on your own. As geordie mentioned above, the cruise lines typically provide a bus (at a cost) to take you to the town center. (On NCL, it was $10 per person for an all-day pass, available on the ship.) Our bus dropped us off at a promenade across the street from the Almudaina Palace and Cathedral La Seu. From there, it was an easy walk throughout the town, including a stroll down the Passeig del Born, which has a nice collection of restaurants.

Of course, as you are going in the summer, you might want to visit a beach. I wouldn't do this instead of a trip through town, but in addition to it. You can ask the shore excursion staff on your cruise for some ideas as to the best ones to incorporate into your day.

Closed Thread

Tags
bus, cadiz, cruise, de, eivissa, excursions, hop, ibiza, malaga, mallorca, med, monaco, palma, port, sight, spain