Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2004, 01:48 PM

We have cruised before but just in the US. I want to surprise my husband with a Mediterranean cruise. Trying to keep the budget within reason, I am thinking about the Royal Caribbean or the Costa Line. What ship and ports are suggested?
Old 08-31-2004, 01:48 PM

We have cruised before but just in the US. I want to surprise my husband with a Mediterranean cruise. Trying to keep the budget within reason, I am thinking about the Royal Caribbean or the Costa Line. What ship and ports are suggested?
Old 09-05-2004, 05:37 PM

Good idea. Cruising anywhere is great and cruising in the Med is so much different than the Caribbean - and so much fun. Imagine yourself checking into a 5 star hotel and awaking every morning to see some of the great cities of Southern Europe. Go for it! I am a bargain cruiser and love every moment of planning an itinerary, using public transport and meeting new and different people. You will not be disappointed!! Read Tom Ogg's reviews and start to dream. Here is a guy I have never met and who lives a continent away, but who is living proof that it's all in a favourable attitude. Good luck in your planning and if you want some specific advice, just pm me.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:07 AM

CELEBRITY(ROYAL CARIBBEAN) HAS GREAT ITINERARIES TO EUROPE AND GREECE (MILLINEUM) PROBLEM IS RCL RECENTLY DID AWAY WITH DISCOUNTING SO THE FARES JUMPED DRASTICALLY AS OF 8/16/04
Old 09-06-2004, 07:59 AM

One thing to keep in mind is what kind of atmosphere you want aboard ship. If you want to immerse yourself in European culture, language, etc., then Costa would be a good way to go. They are an Italian line, but used to Americans (they do sail the Caribbean in winter). Another good choice in European lines is MSC (Med. Shipping Cruises - no, they're not freighters, they are full-fledged cruise ships with several newly built ones).

Celebrity and Holland America would be a little more attuned to North American tastes, and geared toward mature couples; if you want a little "younger" feel and American flavor, then go for Royal Caribbean or Norwegian.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DFHNIS:
PROBLEM IS RCL RECENTLY DID AWAY WITH DISCOUNTING SO THE FARES JUMPED DRASTICALLY AS OF 8/16/04

Hi,

the above is misleading to say the least. Actually the official fares (and I am not talking about "brochure rates" here!) did not jump at all as a result of the new policy. However, commission sharing and other kinds of discounting of the fares published by RCC is no longer allowed or at least advertising those discounted fares is no longer allowed.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 09-12-2004, 06:32 AM

Raoul is absolutely correct regarding the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity price policies.

For a first cruise to the Mediterranean, I would opt for a western Mediterranean itinerary and either Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Celebrity or Oceania. All offer port intendive itineraries and excellent food/service in an elegant environment.

You can't miss with any Mediterranean itinerary and there ae some bargains on eastern Mediterranean itneraries right now. My wife and I are going on the Radisson 7 Seas Navigator to Greece, Turkey, Croatia and Italy in a couple of weeks and can't wait.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise and let us know if you have any questions.

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
budget, call, celebrity, cruise, date, europe, european, forum, mediteranean, mediterranean, port, ports, review, reviews, ships, western