Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 12:24 PM

My wife and I will be staying in London precruise. We would like to stay at a hotel that will be close to the train station that will travel to the Dover Port and perhaps have a shuttle service to Heathrow. We would typically stay in a four star rated hotel, but even these seem to get many subpar reviews. I guess that's just Europe. While we don't want to pay a lot, I don't want a dive either. Convenience getting around is alos a major consideration. We will only be there two days, so probably won't see a great deal, so as long as the hotel is close to some attractions we should be fine.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:24 PM

My wife and I will be staying in London precruise. We would like to stay at a hotel that will be close to the train station that will travel to the Dover Port and perhaps have a shuttle service to Heathrow. We would typically stay in a four star rated hotel, but even these seem to get many subpar reviews. I guess that's just Europe. While we don't want to pay a lot, I don't want a dive either. Convenience getting around is alos a major consideration. We will only be there two days, so probably won't see a great deal, so as long as the hotel is close to some attractions we should be fine.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:37 PM

Last summer we stayed in London for 2 nights, on our way to Morocco. We splurged and stayed at the London Marriott County Hall. It is the old county hall building, that the Marriott company now owns as a hotel. I don't know if they have a airport shuttle, we took the Gatwick Express into the city, then a taxi to the hotel. It is on the south side of the Thames river, right next to the London Eye. It is in walking distance to Waterloo train station, I assume you can get to Dover from there, I would check on that. It overlooks all of Westminster, and its beautiful skyline. It is probably expensive, but what hotel isn't in London. We really splurged and got a room with a balcony. That was a once in a lifetime event, considering the price, and yes, it was worth every penny we thought for the view. The hotel has VERY long hallways, that didn't bother us. You could try Hotwire, and choose the Westminster area of London. I like that area the best. You are right there, with Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, London Eye, etc... We were able to do ALOT in our 2 nights there. We just planned it out. Hope this helps, Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-28-2008, 08:08 AM
We stayed at the Chancery court it is within a short walk to the British Museum but it is pricey

Have a look at www.venere.com
you may find something in your area & price range
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 10-13-2008, 02:24 PM

We've stayed at the Crowne Plaza St. James in Westminster. It's a bit pricey, but old and elegant, the kind of place where the doorman hands you an umbrella if it's raining. It's just a couple blocks from Buckingham Palace, Westminster Cathedral and the St. James Underground.

We've also stayed at the Holiday Inn-Kensington. It's cheaper but much nicer than your typical Holiday Inn. It's within walking distance of Kensington Gardens, Harrods and there's also an underground station close by.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruisereviews, forum, hotel, hotels, london, oceania, recommendation, reviews, ship