Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Advice please...I am being told different things on how to dress for visiting the Vatican. Had someone tell me as long as your knees and arms are covered, jeans are ok. One other told me that men should wear dress slacks and women skirts or dress pants. Would hate to carry a change of clothing with me in Rome and I cannot see us wearing dress shoes/clothes all day in Ancient Rome either.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 AM

We were just there in June. They allow long shorts (knees needed to be covered) for guys and shoulders needed to be covered for both men and women. So no tank tops. Skirts are okay as long as they cover the knees. yes, jeans are ok.

The same can be said for most of the cathedrals you would visit in Italy. And also for the Mosques in Turkey...

So capri shorts and a short sleeved t-shirt for women and long shorts and t-shirt for men is the minimum if you expect to be let in.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-13-2008, 03:04 PM

There are always lots of people who think that the Europeans will let the foreign travellers slide a little on the dress code. Wrong!!! They have no problem turning you away... Just dress conservative and keep your knees and shoulders covered. And no low riding pants or shirts that expose the belly.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Europe has a higher standard for dress, which is to be both applauded and respected. Too many tourists forget that a cathedral is an active place of worship and not an exhibit for their benefit. The Vatican is a sovereign nation with it's own standards for comportment.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:29 AM

And, besides, what could be more embarrassing than being reprimanded and turned away by a guard dressed like this:
Old 10-17-2008, 04:54 AM

Thank you.

LOVE THE PIX...kids got a kick out of the attire!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drlivingston:
And, besides, what could be more embarrassing than being reprimanded and turned away by a guard dressed like this:
Hi, I would like to know regarding the Vatican, if we can get off train from Civitaveccha (cruise Port) at the San Pietro Stop and save time getting to Vatican. It looks closer on map. Also, what would be the best thing to do re: tour of Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel? If you just buy a ticket, can you rent headphones for commentary or do we need to buy tour tickets and have a guide explain everything? Are the tickets timed? One tour I saw said it left at 9:00 a.m. after Nov 1. It will be hard to get from the ship to the tour meeting place by 9:00 a.m. If this is answered elsewhere, I apologize, but am getting overload trying to figure all this out. Thanks for any guidance
Old 11-01-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pineapple:

Hi, I would like to know regarding the Vatican, if we can get off train from Civitaveccha (cruise Port) at the San Pietro Stop and save time getting to Vatican.It looks closer on map.
Yes

Also, what would be the best thing to do re: tour of Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel? If you just buy a ticket, can you rent headphones for commentary or do we need to buy tour tickets and have a guide explain everything?

You can rent an audio guide and take the museum at your own pace. However, if you do this you will need to return them to the entrance as you leave rather than take the 'short cut' straight into St. Peter's. (You can also download a Rick Steves tour from the web.)

Are the tickets timed?
No.

One tour I saw said it left at 9:00 a.m. after Nov 1. It will be hard to get from the ship to the tour meeting place by 9:00 a.m.

It will.
The only problem is the museum will probably be very busy in the mornings and you could wait a long time in line to get in. Another option is to book an entry with a co-ordinated group..no tour.. on the link I've put below. You may find the 10.30 slot is available on your date. There is a mark up on these tickets, you just meet up with the group at the given time and they take you in. It saves waiting in the long lines.

If this is answered elsewhere, I apologize, but am getting overload trying to figure all this out. Thanks for any guidance
If there is anything else you need to know I'll try to help.

Link for group entry here.

http://www.rome-museum.com/vatican2ind.php
Old 11-02-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks, Sparky for your excellent detailed answers and practical, specific advice. I have already been to link for Vatican Tours you provided and they look like the answer for our situation. We believe we can do okay with the rented headphones for the difference in the price. Was glad to learn we can get off train before main station also. Thanks so much!!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:36 AM

If you want to concentrate on the Vatican area you could spend the entire day and not collapse trying to see all of Rome. Check out Borgo Pio and the surrounding streets, Via Cola di Rienzo has great shopping. Remember for lunch to go a bit further down Borgo Pio away from the too touristy-trap restaurants.The pizza a taglio where all the students go is good, also Da Roberto Passetto del Borgo where the Vatican scholars and monsignori can be found.

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, clothing, cruise, dress, dresses, europe, head, headphone, headphones, long, museums, phones, rent, tour, tours, vatican, visit