Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Europe Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/)
-   -   Rome excursions (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/7786-rome-excursions.html)

rex 05-14-2006 06:58 PM

Hi we-re taking a cruise and one of the ports is Rome. The cruise line offers many tours. I was wondering if anyone has taken any and what the motorcoaches were like? Are they airconditioned and do they have a bathroom on board? How about the trains? thanks

rex 05-14-2006 06:58 PM

Hi we-re taking a cruise and one of the ports is Rome. The cruise line offers many tours. I was wondering if anyone has taken any and what the motorcoaches were like? Are they airconditioned and do they have a bathroom on board? How about the trains? thanks

chemical x 05-16-2006 10:23 AM

i have actually begun researching the same thing....trains are faster for sure and cheaper.
civateccia has a train line that runs well from what i've read. but when you're on your own, you run the risk of not getting back on time....

05-16-2006 04:10 PM

hi i have been to rome i travelled from port by coach to civateccia (royal caribbean ship) it was vey easy we got droped off near the city centre and we meet back at the same place at a certian time it was very easy but its a good idea to be there early because if you miss the coach go knows how you will return to the port P.S buy ssome water if you are going in summer time its hot and sticky
happy cruising http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

CRUISING PHOTOGRAPHER 05-16-2006 07:01 PM

Hi,
I was there last summer with Princess Cruises. The buses are modern air conditioned buses, though sometimes the heat may be more than the AC can keep up with. They usually do not have bathrooms. The trip is only 90 minutes, so that shouldn't be a problem.
As for tours, you can't see Rome in 1 day. Pick whether you are more interested in ancient history or church history. If ancient history interests you more, choose the Pantanon, etc... If church history is more your interest, visit the Vatican. If you've been to Rome before like we had, then sign up for Rome on your own tour. You'll have bus transportation back and forth & some direction. When you arive, they will tell you what time to meet the bus in the afternoon and pick you up then.
Rome is full of professional pickpockets, even groups of kids who will try and take your wallets & purses. Be very careful!!!
No matter what you do, you'll enjoy Rome.
Jim

lesstew 07-28-2006 03:44 PM

Is it better to do the Vatican in the morning or afternoon, on a Thursday? I've heard mornings are more crowded, but Tom Ogg's info on Rome says he suggests Vatican first. Anyone have an opinion?

Hank 07-29-2006 07:46 AM

Morning Rex,
You are showing great wisdom in doing your pre-trip homework. The port of Civitavecchia is about 1:15 min from Rome on either a bus or the train. The buses are similar to chartered-type buses found in the US... which means they are clean, have AC, and our pretty comfortable. Some have bathrooms and some do not, so its hard to plan based on this issue. The quality of the trains really does vary from the older commuter type trains with no AC to very modern high speed intercity trains that are better than anything you will find in the USA. From Civitavecchia to Rome the trains are generally not the best, and can often be very crowded in the early morning which is when many cruise passengers are trying to get to Rome. All the trains do have toilets,..although sometimes they leave much to be desired. In Civitavecchia its possible to take the free shuttle bus from the pier to the port entrance...and from there its about a 10 min walk to the train station. Traveling in Western Europe is similar to traveling in the US which means you can use tours, hire private guides, or do things on your own.