Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 PM

Hi,
I am so excited to be going on an amazing cruise. I leave Civitavecchia, July 10 on the Westerdam. I would love some port ideas
Ports: Monte Carlo, Livorno, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, L Goulette,Palermo, Naples, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Olympia, Santorini, Ephesus, Athens, and Messina. I am looking for things I can do and things I can do with my dad who has limited walking abilities. One of the things I want to do is snorkel in the mediterranean Thank you for your ideas.
Barbara
Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 PM

Hi,
I am so excited to be going on an amazing cruise. I leave Civitavecchia, July 10 on the Westerdam. I would love some port ideas
Ports: Monte Carlo, Livorno, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, L Goulette,Palermo, Naples, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Olympia, Santorini, Ephesus, Athens, and Messina. I am looking for things I can do and things I can do with my dad who has limited walking abilities. One of the things I want to do is snorkel in the mediterranean Thank you for your ideas.
Barbara
Old 02-08-2007, 06:17 AM

If your father has limited walking abilites, it is always one option to choose ship's tours that are sepcifically designed for handicapped people.
Yet those would probably mean to sit most of the time in a bus and not to experience the atmoshere of the various cities.
Thus I would encourage you to plan your own excursions. If you serach for specific ports in the forum you might find some tips which just need some adjustment to avoid extendend walking.

Let my recommendations start with Livorno: Many people go to Florence but a lot of walking is required there. Much easier is Pisa where the most important sights are all located on one compound, the square of the miracles. It is not only the famous leaning town but so much more. The cathedrale filled with pieces of art, the impressive baptisterium, the "graveyard" (a walled cemetery with soil brought back by the Crusaders from the Holy Land. Great frescoes) and a number of museums. Restaurants are also very close or just get a sandwich or something and sit down on the lawn and enjoy the view of all the beautiful buildings.
See http://www.opapisa.it/?id=15&L=1&T=2
To get to Pisa take a taxi to the train station, train to Pisa, and there a taxi to the Piazza dei Miracoli. (For people without walking difficulties it is a nice stroll from the station to the square through small streets and passing some more interesting churches, buildings and markets but a taxi will be much better for your father.)
Old 02-08-2007, 08:03 AM

Barcelona is a big city with many options to choose from. How long will you be there and do you have any special interest?
If you have a full day and want to get an overview you can take a sightseeing bus. You can get off and on as you like. Two recommended sites to get off are the Sagrada Famiglia, the unfinished cathedrale by Gaudi, and the gothic quarter. Later is the historic city center with the actual cathedrale, other important churches and museums.
If you have only a couple of hours, you could go by taxi (or metro depending on the ability to walk) directly to La Sagrada Famiglia first, than to the Barric Gotic and back to the ship.
If possible, be at La Sagrada Famiglia early in the morning before the opening at 9 am (?) because it does fill very quickly. Your father should not use an elevator to go up the tower (which offers a great viw of the city as well as off the details of the building) without making sure that he will be allowed to use it down, too, instead of descending by stairs.
If you need to choose I would recommend the Barric Gotic as it is more historical important and has real life atmoshere.
If you want to do some shopping, you could try Las Ramblas, the major street starting at the port and passing the Barric Gotic e.g. while your father takes a rest in a cafe.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruis, cruise, italy, medeteranean, mediareran, mediteranean, mediterranean, mediterrean, meditteranean, meditwrranian, naples, ports, ratings, review, reviews