Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 11:08 AM

Wow, you are a wealth of information!!
Thank YOU!!!!
I will share this with my husband and probably ask you some questions.
First of all in Rome we are taking the train at the airport to Rome and walk a block to our hotel for a 2 night stay, then back on train to the ships port. I don't see this as having any complications.
When arriving in Venice we are staying not far from St. Marks at the St. Elena stop.
My questions is since we are staying for 2 nights I want to purchase a pass for our use for the two days and also need to make sure we have a red line pass to get us to the airport when we leave, unless there is a better way to get to the airport?
Should I take the Princes transportation to St. Marks and then purchase our pass? What do you suggest?
We plan on packing our luggage so we can always have it with us.
Also, on the ship, did you have two nights of formal dress?
In regards to Florence, what would have been a better choice for getting to Florence to have more time there?
Again, Thank you so much for the information, this will help make our experience more enjoyable!
Carnival Holiday - Dec 2007
Princess Grand - Oct 2008

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-31-2008, 12:59 PM

Hi there-

Hopefully I can help out with your other concerns:

We traveled with another family who also spent a night in Rome. They took the train from the airport to the city & then took the train to the port. They found it very easy and inexpensive!

Airport/Venice-six of us took the water taxi from our hotel (The Stucky Hilton)to the airport...it was very expensive...180 Euro...I know there are cheaper ways (the Vaperatto I believe)...we chose the Water Taxi so my elderly parents didn't have to deal with the luggage.

Transportation to Hotel: I would not take the Princess Transportation to the hotel...it cost us $240 for the six of us and we were no where near our hotel...not even the same island. I would do some further research on getting to the hotel by vaperetto or water taxi especially if you have limited luggage!

Formal Nights-there were 2 formal nights-they are spread out so we just all wore the same dresses/suits twice. FYI, if you didn't know, the ship has washer and dryers on each floor-so you really don't have to overpack!

Florence-you might want to put out a question on trip advisor or Cruise chat to see what other people think. Once you get to Florence you will just be walking...that is why I think it might be better to take the Princess transportation-that way you don't have to worry about taxis and train schedules; I think the Princess bus transportation was about $60 a person).If you really want to go the museums, you should go online and purchase advance tickets ( I wish we had) or just use a Princess tour that includes the museums so you don't miss out. Again, missing out so much in Florence was a huge disappointemnt for us!

Even though we had some poor experiences with the Princess Tours/transportation we found the ship exquisite, the food wonderful and the service great! I am sure you are going to have a wonderful time. Please let us know how you enjoyed your trip when you return. If you have any other questions please let me know!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:42 PM

Haygirl (almost sounds sexist), you ask about going to Pompeii and Capri on your own, and yes it can be done. But, it makes for a very busy day and it also takes a little "street smarts." Here is how it can be done. You must be off the ship before 8, and than get yourself to the Naples train station. You can walk this in about 30 min, can try to get a taxi on the street (the taxis in the port will not usually take anyone such a short distance) or you can use a local bus. Once at the train station you buy a ticket for Pompeii (only a few Euros) and than you go down to the lower tracks where the Circumvesuviania Line trains depart. The trains that stop at Pompeii leave about every 30 mintues. You want to get off at the "Pompeii Scavi" station which is across the street from the ruins. After rushing through the ruins, catch the next train to Sorrento (this is a continuation of the same train you took from Naples) where you need to quickly walk down hill (or down the steps) to the ferry pier. Than you catch the next ferry over to Capri. As soon as you arrive at Capri, check the schedules for hydrofoils or jetboats back to Naples (you want the "Beverello" terminal in Naples) and buy your ticket before you even leave the pier to take the funicular up to Capri Town. Make sure you allow about an hour to get the funicular back down for your return ferry, because the lines can be long at mid-afternoon. The ferry (you must use high speed hydrofoils or jetboats) take about 50 min to Naples where its a 10 min walk to your ship. Now you have the short version of how to do it.

Hank
Old 09-01-2008, 05:00 AM

Thank you Hank, I really appreciate the info on it making a hectic day too. We may just want to see Capri and be able to enjoy the day. Hectic schedules are on not our agenda for this trip.
BTW: In the south it is common to greet a female saying "hey girl".

Old 09-01-2008, 05:50 AM

Livorno: What would be some other options instead of seeing Florence/Pisa? Maybe an option to see the Tuscan countryside or would seeing Cinque Tere be worth seeing?
How would you recommend doing this on our own?

Old 09-01-2008, 06:11 AM

Mykonos: What are other options for Mykonos, other then going to the beech? Princess offers one tour that takes you to Delos or there is also the Mykonos Island tour that takes you to Panagia Tourliani Monastery, Kalafati Beach and Mykonos Town?
Any Suggestions? Sounds like a leisure day?

Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 AM

Olympia: Where the ship docks, can you walk to town?

Old 09-01-2008, 06:32 AM

Corfu: From where the ship docks how would we get to Paleokastritsa? We would like to stroll around town on our own and then also see Paleokastritsa, but not sure how.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:56 AM

So many questions lol. From Livorno, all options do have a minor problem which is how to get from the port to the Livorno train station. Taxis do not want to make this short run (usually costs about 15 - 18 Euros) but if you are off the ship early and a bit assertive there is always a driver that will do the trip (it pays to have 4 in a taxi). Going to Cinque Terre is not a good option on trains because the schedule is very very tight. But, its a great area and you might want to consider taking the tour. We were just there in May, but chose to rent a car and drive ourselves and another couple up to Riomagiore (the first town on the south). One other good option is to simply take the train to Lucca (you change in Pisa) where you can walk into the walled city from the nearby train station and just enjoy a lazy day in this neat town (try renting bikes and riding around the top of the intact city walls. The Tuscan countryside requires a tour or rental car, but we love the entire area (have spent months in this region).

Mykonos - Love the beach. Delos is interesting if you like ruins, but you must do this on the tour. Just walking around Mykonos Town is fun, they have some nice cafes on the small waterfront and the shopping is pretty good.

Olympia - The ship stops at a small fishing village (Katakolon). Most take a tour to Olympia (we have mixed emotions about whether this is worth the effort) but you could elect to spend a quiet day in the village and enjoy a local lunch.

Corfu - Its a hike from pier to town, but there are also shuttle buses and taxis. This is a very tourist friendly large island, and Corfu Town is simply a nice medium size town with plenty of cafes and stores. This island is a good place to rent a car and simply drive around the island which lets you go where you please and perhaps stop at one of many beaches for a dip. This is a well developed island that is a base for many European boaters who use it as a base for the great sailing in the Ionian Islands. You will find English is widely spoken here.

Hank
Old 09-03-2008, 02:51 PM

Familycruise2008:
Can you tell me which tour you took in Kusadasi Turkey? I have gone on-line and they offer about 6 different tours.
Thank you!

Closed Thread

Tags
cinque, cost, cruise, cruises, excursion, excursions, mediterraean, mediterranean, price, princess, review, shore, terre, tripadvisor, venice