Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Hello all,
I wanted some advice on the best way to carry money during a med crusie.
On the ship they use $ and i will put all on my credit card but in port i will need euros.
Not sure how much i will be able to put on my card( small purchases/snacks) but don't want to carry around lots of cash( euros).
Did you find cash point availble at ports?, did you feel they were safe to use?

What did you feel worked best( traveller cheque/cash/ cards)
Thanks for your help
Ruth
Old 03-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Believe it or not...the ATM system is well present here in Europe as well . When it comes to carrying large amounts of cash - its always a risk of pickpockets. I never carry a lot of cash around, having the major cards (VISA, Master card etc) is enough.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Banned

While I almost exclusively use a credit card for all purchases, and pay it off in full at the end of each month, be aware that some US based credit card issuers charge a 3% or more, surcharge for any charges made in another country. If you're not spending much, then that's an additional cost with which you can live. However, if you plan on charging lots, then you may want to think about the cash route. (The additional charge on $5000 spent at 3% would be $150---in the big picture, not that much). Just something of which to be aware.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 PM
You can convert to the local currency on the ship and ATMs are everywhere; but as Svein says, be alert to pickpockets and purse-snatchers. As the old saying says, "never carry more than you can afford to lose."
Old 03-21-2007, 03:25 PM

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:05 AM

I can give you a couple of hints based on more than 30 years of travel experience. In Europe we rely primarily on ATMs (you should have a 4 digit PIN and know it in numbers) which will get you the best exchange rates. Since there are often some small transaction fees it pays to get larger amounts and keep extra Euros in your room safe. I always carry an extra wallet where I keep my local currency, one credit card, and an ATM card. My regular wallet stays locked in the cabin safe. Its also a good idea to make copies of your main passport page (the one with your picture and ID) and carry this at all times. As to ATMs, they are everywhere and if one does not work with your card simply try a different institution (generally not more than a block distant). The warnings about pick pockets are valid, and gypsies can be a real problem. The solution is to use common sense and basic precautions. I never carry a wallet in my back pocket, keep a rubber band around my wallet (makes it harder to pick), and never wear any expensive jewelry (makes you stand-out as a pick pocket target). My wife normally carries her purse across her shoulders and uses a large diaper pin to fasten the zippers together (makes it tough for someone to open her purse). One other important point. You should notify your credit card companies and ATM bank of your trip and itinerary. This prevents possible credit card security issues when the issuer spots your unusual usage patterns.

Hank
Old 03-24-2007, 06:26 PM

Thanks again Hank. As before very useful information, especially about the safety pins.
Peter
Old 03-24-2007, 09:10 PM

Hank, I LOVE the safety pin idea for the purse. My mom and I actually were harrassed by gypsie looking women in Milan. One girl walked into us as she "read" a newspaper, as if to not notice us. Our distraction was the newspaper in our face. The older lady with her, put her hand in my mom's purse. I caught her, cocked my fist back and screamed at them. They ran off, like scared chickens. I usually don't wear a purse, if I am in a foreign country. Last year in South America even my husband did not feel safe. Pickpockets/thiefs are a real threat. I had a great money belt that strapped around my calf, under my pants. That works out great for us. Thanks for the tip. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
amount, amounts, carribean, carry, carrying, cash, cruise, currency, euros, large, money, port, ports, purses, safest, ship, whats