Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 PM

Hi, Will just spend one day in Venice, traveling on Princess. Which shore excursions do you recommend? Thanks!
Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 AM

Let me answer your question with a question! Why take any "excursion?) Venice is a walking city (there is no other way to see Venice) which can be supplemented by simply using the local water buses (Vaporettos) which run around the island and can also take you to other nearby islands in the Lagoon (Lido, Murano, Burano etc). If you want to take a gondola ride you only need to stop by one of the gondola docks and hire a boat.

Hank
Old 06-10-2007, 11:52 AM

Thanks, Hank!
Baboo
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
Let me answer your question with a question! Why take any "excursion?) Venice is a walking city (there is no other way to see Venice) which can be supplemented by simply using the local water buses (Vaporettos) which run around the island and can also take you to other nearby islands in the Lagoon (Lido, Murano, Burano etc). If you want to take a gondola ride you only need to stop by one of the gondola docks and hire a boat.

Hank
Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
at.com Hop To Forum Categories Port Chat Hop To Forums Europe Port Chat Which Venice shore excursion(s)?
Hank is totally correct you can do it on your own and have a better time.The key is figuring out what you want to do ie San Marco, Dodges Palace, gondola etc and then make a plan. Be aware there is a new wave of finds and the police have gone from non-enforement to overboard enforcement. Finds are huge. Go to SF Gate and click on columns and read Travel adviser. 500e or about $650 for eating or sitting in San Marco Plaza, now in effect. Vap fine is 35e for expired tickets and they march you right up to the bank to get it.
So keep your eyes open and go for it.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:37 AM

I mean fines........not finds
Old 06-11-2007, 03:31 PM

I just returned from Venice and the previous poster was correct. You will see more of the Venetian charm just going out on your own. It is fun to just take streets without knowing where you are going. You can't get lost too much since it's an island. Be prepared! Bring a backpack with bottles water or soda's as the prices there are astronomical. A meal consisting of (2)10'pizzas and (4) coca cola's cost over $50 u.s. money. They do not believe in giving cola refills and 99% of places will not serve tap water (probably a good thing). I guess in a day you would want to make it to San Marco square. There you have the St. Marks basilica which is gorgeous, the Doge's palace. A short walk along the shoreline and you get a very picturesque view of the Bridge of Sighs complete with peaceful gondolas meandering down the canals. If you want to take a gondola do it earlier in the day. The later in the evening, the more money you can be expected to pay. On a side note, make sure that you have negotiated a price before stepping on the gondola. You would probably want to see the Rialto bridge and time permitting take a vaporetto to Murano and Burano. One being famous for glass creations and the other for lace. Bear in mind, the farther you are from the Grand Canal, the cheaper the prices become. And don't forget to try italian ice cream (gelato). It's quite tastey.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the very great advice!
Baboo
Old 06-11-2007, 11:08 PM

Thanks!!
Baboo
Old 06-12-2007, 01:09 PM

Another Fine: day re backpack of stuff. Go to the SF Gate and read last sundays travel adviser. As I said before they are on a roll re fines and fees.
They are now enforcing a rule about food and sitting in San Marco area. Read the fine 500e!@ 1.40 thats $700.00
be sure you read this article!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Believe me, that's why I just said beverages in the bag. Definitely not food.

Closed Thread

Tags
burano, cruise, excurions, excursion, excursions, forumm, gondola, islands, lost, murano, review, reviews, ride, shore, venice