Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2007, 10:01 AM

Hi,
Cruising in September on Carnival Freedom and was wondering does anyone know how far it is from Liverno cruise port to train station.Can we walk there?Then how far is the train ride and fare?Thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 09:06 PM

You cannot walk from the pier to the Livorno train station..its just too far (perhaps 3 miles). Your best bet is to be one of the first off the ship, head straight to the taxi queue at the end of the pier, and tell the drivers you need a taxi to the stazione. Most of the drivers will not take the fare because they are looking for a full day fare (approximately 300 Euros). However, there are always a few taxis that will take the short hauls. The last couple of times we were in Livorno we noticed that one of the locals was acting as the taxi expeditor and he would always find us a taxi within a few mintues. The train ride to Pisa takes about 15 minutes. I am not sure of the current fare but it will be no more than a few Euros. In Pisa, you can walk to the Duomo in about 20 - 30 minutes or grab a taxi. There is also a local bus, but you would need to get the details at the Pisa station.

Hank
Old 07-20-2007, 02:07 PM

Hank,
Thank You for the information.Taxi it will be .
Old 07-21-2007, 01:53 AM
If you do struggle to get a taxi from the Pier then you will have to get a shuttle into Livorno as the port authority does not alow people to walk into town from the ship.If you do get the shuttle into town ( princess charged us $5 each way )the drop off location will probably be piazza grande where you can catch a number #1 bus to the railway station ( 15mins )
There is a frequent train service to pisa & I believe that the leaning tower is about a 40 min walk from the station but you may be able to get a local bus. regards Jack
Old 07-21-2007, 07:32 AM

Jack is right...but his scenario is not normally a very good option. Let me explain. Although you might have to be a bit assertive with the taxi drivers to get somebody to take you to the station, we have always managed to get a taxi in more than 6 visits. So, why not use the shuttle? Well, assuming your ship has a shuttle (not all the lines do this anymore) you will pay $5 per person to get into town. Of course the shuttle do not leave every minute, so you will have some waiting time at the dock. Once you get into town, you can walk to the station (a good 20 minutes) take the bus (more waiting time and a few more Euros) or even look for a taxi. But meantime the clock has been ticking. Once you get past 7:50 there is only one train per hour and it leaves at 11 past every hour. If you miss the 8:11 it will cost you an entire hour in Florence and reduce your tour day to 5 hours. Your goal should be to get to that station by 8 (you need a few minutes to buy your ticket) and that is probably not going to happen with shuttle buses.

Hank
Old 07-21-2007, 03:48 PM
yes I understand hanks view but the title says "train from livorno to pisa" and I agree with hank to get to florence and back is a long trip but Pisa is easier and there is not as much to look at (my opinion) as in florence so you won't need quite as long.
Actually what hank says makes a lot of sense but when we got to livorno we were put off getting a taxi to the station because we thought it would not be possible.
The reason why was in our daily news in the princess patter which said " taxis will be available on the pier however early in the morning they will only take fares to Pisa or Florence" as we did not have the benefit of hanks advice we thought we would not get a taxi to the station...which is why I was able to tell you about the shuttle. Next time will try to take hanks advice and ignore what the patter says and make sure a taxi will take us from the pier to the station. regards jack
Old 07-22-2007, 06:28 PM

Jack Jack Jack,, You certainly speak the truth! Princess, like most of the cruise lines, does everything possible to convince their passengers to book the cruise line tours...which are of course, a very big profit center for the cruise line. It has now gotten so darn bad that the Port Lecturers on the cruise ships generally work for a private company that is also involved in the tours and often steering passengers to shops that are also part of the profits (some might call it a scam). I guess this is just a form of entreprenaurship, but they should do a better job of disclosing their conflict of interest. Yes, they are correct that the taxis do not want to go to the local station. But, we have always been able to get a taxi. However, and I mentioned this previously, I would urge independent travelers to be among the first off the ship. This increases your chance of getting a taxi without a wait, and, it means you have a good chance of making the 8:11 or earlier train. If it turned out that it was impossible to get a taxi you could always just walk a few feet and take the shuttle. Thats another dirty secret. The cruise lines always tell you to buy shuttle tickets in advance! But, if you try to get on a shuttle without a ticket there is always somebody who will simply write down your cabin number and sell you a ticket on the spot. I do agree that if you only destination is going to be Pisa, than there is no reason to hurry. 2 or 3 hours in Pisa is enough for most folks (I never liked this city).

Hank
Old 07-27-2007, 01:22 AM

Nice to see all those useful info. I've been to leaning tower and would not like to go back again. What/where else could I go besides Florence and Pisa? Is there anyother interesting place close by?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:40 AM

Gigi, Great question for which I will offer some suggestions. I have never been a big fan of doing Florence and Pisa on the same day (tour or on your own) because you really should try to maximize your time in Florence, and Pisa just costs too much time. However, a great alternative day trip (easy to do on your own) is to visit Pisa and Lucca. The train from Livorno to Pisa only takes about 15 minutes, and than its a good 30 min walk to the Leaning Tower or a short taxi or bus ride. From Pisa you can take the train to Lucca (the trains generally leave from a remote track that is way down the platform (to your right as you exit the station to the platforms) which is about a 30 minute ride. At Lucca you can walk from the station into the city (its one of the best preserved walled cities) and explore Lucca on foot. The town has plenty of shopping, nice cafes/restaurants, and its even possible to rent bikes and ride around the top of the ancient walls (the walls are very wide and safe). I have no love of Pisa, which is pretty much an ugly city, so getting to Lucca is a real step-up in the tourist world (smile).

Hank
Old 07-27-2007, 07:35 PM

Thank You both very much for the info.So much information.Hank you know alot, and I see you are all over this forum with lots of other information.Thank You for all your ideas.

Closed Thread

Tags
bus, costs, cruise, day, ipisa, leaning, livorno, lucca, pier, pisa, ship, taxi, tower, train, trains, travel