Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 AM

I am booking a cruise for this fall and was wondering if anyone has opinions on what kind of cabin i should book. It will be myself and my husband and our two children ages 4 and 7. It will be our first cruise and i was thinking i would just book an inside cabin until i learn for myself i should have booked something different. anyone been on a cruise with children similar ages and wished they had a balcony? A balcony worries me with children. I would love to hear what people think.

kim
Old 06-03-2009, 07:59 AM

My personal preference is a balcony, however, they are more expensive. The balcony is safe for children as long as they know NOT to climb on the railings. There is metal at least 3 feet high (maybe even 4) and then a railing. You have to really work at it to fall or jump from it. If you can afford the price difference, it is an amazing way to spend your cruise. To me, there's nothing better than watching the sunrise/sunset from my balcony sipping on a drink of my choice. If your children mind you, and will not go out by themselves and start crawling around, then you will have no problems. If they are prone to getting into mischief and not minding, then maybe an inside is better.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 AM

I would also add that the balcony door can be locked and it is also very difficult to open it. I doubt that a 4 year old could do it. Maybe the seven year old could. But it ultimately comes down to your particular children. Only you will know if they will obey your rules not to go out there without you.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Glory bound
We just returned from a Royal Caribbean cruise, and had a family outside cabin. 9500.
It was amazing, because we left from NJ and a couple of days it was vey cool out.
The cabin was in the bow right underneath the bridge.
The kids had a separate room with bunk beds, we had a large sitting area and two enourmous windows facing forward.
We pulled our chairs over and had our coffee each morning.
It wasn't much less expensive than a balcony, but we had a huge space and some privacy as well.
Marsha

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 PM

Hi

I have cruised a number of lines and times with my kids but they were definitely older than 4 and 7 when they joined us in a balcony cabin. Their are chairs on the balcony. A four year old (if the door is accidentally left unlocked by the room steward or yourselves, could definitely climb onto a chair and fall over. I would not cruise in a balcony cabin with a 4 year old. An outside cabin with a picture window will allow you to have light. My youngest boy was 10 before we let him in our balcony cabin. We knew he would not stand up on chairs. My advice.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:11 PM

you have all given me food for thought. luckily, my kids are really good and i would not be worrying about my 4 year old going onto the balcony when he shouldn't. and the 7 year old is such a mother to him; he wouldn't have a chance! i will keep thinking about it until i actually book. but this chat is very helpful. thanks!
Old 06-06-2009, 09:25 PM

pink845 makes a very good point about the balcony furniture. Kids will be Kids regardless sometimes. I would go with the Ocean View until they get a little older. Just to be on the safe and less worry side.

Dwayne
Old 06-06-2009, 11:39 PM
glory bound, I'm sure your kids are really good kids as you say; but I have to agree with Dwayne--kids will be kids--even the really good ones. And it would only take a couple of seconds, even for a four-year-old, to pull a chair to the railing for a better look. At four, or even seven, they have no sense of the danger involved in this environment that is completely new to them. And a sudden strong breeze or lurch of the ship could easily cause the unthinkable.

And I would have to take exception with Jim's comment about the doors being difficult to open. Maybe they are on some ships; but on a recent Princess cruise out of Los Angeles, we had just found our cabin and were checking out the balcony, when our neighbors asked if we could get the steward for them. They were checking out their balcony when their 3-year-old, who was inside the cabin, locked them out. The lock is simply a lever that a toddler had no trouble pushing down to lock--and presumably would have no trouble pushing up to unlock.

For peace of mind I would want an oceanview with children that age.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:14 AM

thanks again. on that note, i was planning on booking a carnival cruise, so does anyone know if there are any suite type rooms that only have an ocean view and not a balcony?

Closed Thread

Tags
balconies, balcony, book, cabin, caribbean, cruise, cruising, kids, kind, locks, royal, safe, stateroom, staterooms, yr