Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   First time Cruising - where is the best place to go? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/family-cruising/1670-first-time-cruising-where-best-place-go.html)

pool1220 09-23-2009 04:42 PM

Our family is thinking of going on a cruise in the upcoming month of december, but because this is our first time I'm not really sure where we should go, especially since we'll be going in the winter month?

There'll be 5 of us, with 1 being a 12 year-old boy.

Please, any suggestion is welcome!

Dave 09-23-2009 04:55 PM

Welcome to cruise-chat.

More information is needed. How long of a cruise do you think you want to do? Are you willing to fly to the port? Are you looking for a cheap getaway or something more substantive? With 5 people you are quite limited if you want one cabin. This gets into suite or family stateroom territory (more expensive), or more likely two cabins adjacent to one another. Carnival will put 5 people in one cabin on some ships, and on a limited basis. The other lines will not put 5 people in a standard cabin.

You must have some idea of where you'd like to go. If cruising from the U.S. in the winter, you have fewer choices - those being the Caribbean itineraries, Bahamas, and Mexico for the most part.

Cruise Fanatic 09-23-2009 06:07 PM

Booking so late may make it harder to get two cabins adjacent. So the sooner you book the better.

pool1220 09-23-2009 06:46 PM

Hi Dave and Cruise Fanatic,

We won't need one cabin, so two would be a good option!

We live in Canada so most likely we'll need to fly to the port so that won't be a problem. Finding a good deal is good but then having a good/reliable trip would be more important especially since this is our first time.

Initially I was thinking of some kind of Europe cruises as we like to go sightseeing, but then I heard that Europe cruises may not be the best in winter time as the water can get more rough and the weather more unpredictable?

MamaofEnS 09-28-2009 12:46 PM

Hi Pool,

If you book two cabins, remember that at least one adult needs to share a room with the minor.

For first time cruisers, maybe something less exotic like the Caribbean might make you feel more comfortable.

MamaofEnS

penny3333 09-28-2009 01:40 PM

Hi pool1220, welcome to Cruise-Chat. I would definitely recommend visiting with a cruise oriented Travel Agent. I think MamaofEnS has a valid point, too. Europe would not be the best of weather in the winter, and the ocean can get rough. The Caribbean is closer and there are many options to select from. Costa is a good line for families since they have a great deal for children. It is an Italian line, so it is different from the lines that cater to the American/Canadian citizens. It's not that their service is poor, it's just different. Carnival is another option, Royal Caribbean, and Disney are more family oriented. However, when the children are out of school, all cruise lines will have plenty of children on board. Best wishes and we look forward to hearing what you select.

poormom 11-29-2009 01:40 PM

For a simple answer to a complicated question, I would say...go to a travel agent!!!
And search the web just like you're doing for tips, comments, and opinions that sound like they suit your interests.
Happy cruising