Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Question Disney Cruise vs. Carnival Cruise
For everyone who has heard that Disney is not worth the money or that the only difference between Disney and other cruise lines is the characters, this post is for you. We have cruised on the Disney Magic and the Carnival Valor with a 4-year old girl and a 6-year old boy. In summary, if you can afford it, Disney is worth the money--especially for younger children. Here is a summary of the differences we noticed.

DISNEY ADVANTAGES
-Better shows (in fact shows better than Broadway!)
-Free soda
-Better room layout with a privacy curtain
-Better TV with lots of children's movies playing all the time
-Better transfer from airport to ship (nicer bus with Disney information and cartoons playing)
-Movie theatre for kids movies
-Better kids pools
-Rotational dining (switch restaurants every night and your wait staff follows you)
-Better cleanliness (they have attendants with hand wipes outside of every restaurant and they ensure that everybody cleans their hands)
-Better food
-FRESHWATER pools
-Bathtub in staterooms
-Photos are available for viewing by inserting your stateroom card into a reader
-Daycare until midnight is INCLUDED and the childcare doesn't keep closing throughout they day
-Fireworks at sea

CARNIVAL ADVANTAGES
-cheaper
-kids club was less busy than Disney
-in general less kids on the ship
-Bigger ship
-Better nighttime entertainment for adults (especially comedy shows)

Soon we will be leaving on Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas. They may have a better chance of beating Disney, but it is a very expensive ship to sail on.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Welcome to Cruise Reviews. Thank You for your observations. I've sailed on all three of these cruise lines several times. Really, each one of these has pluses and minuses. No one can really compare to Disney because it is after all "Disney". Nothing can really compare to Allure of the Seas and sister ship Oasis of the Seas either. They are very unique products. All three cruise lines can provide a good product. It all depends on an individuals expectations. I hope you enjoy the Allure of the Seas. She is a huge ship.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:39 AM

Yes you are correct. I kinda wish we had never done the Disney cruise as the kids use that for a comparison ever since and nothing can measure up. So I wouldn't recommend Disney unless you can afford to go on it again and again:-)
Old 10-08-2011, 06:02 AM

I am planning this year to visit Disney Cruise with family, so anyone like to suggest me.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:40 AM

Welcome,
What kind of questions do you have about Disney Cruise Lines?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 AM

Hello!

We are planning our cruise for the next year. We really want to balance out everyone's tastes: we have a 10 yr old boy, and three girls that are 8, 5 and 2. I think the girls would love the Disney cruise, but I'm afraid our 10 yr old will find it a bit boring, especially since we went to Disney World just a year ago. I've heard Carnival cruises are great for kids, with many activities. Our son is super excited about the water slides, but I'm scared the lines will be so long that he'll just enjoy them once or twice. What do you guys think?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Administrator

My experience is that the lines for the slides move along fairly quickly. A thing to note about them though - they can't open them for safety reasons if the seas are choppy or if it is windy.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 PM

There are enough activities for kids on Disney, that your son would not be bored, and the shows are amazing! However, Disney is pricey, and there's a lot of you going. A good compromise would be Royal Carribean. We went on the Allure of the Seas, but Oasis of the Seas is the sister ship and it would be good too. They would have something for everyone.

We now prefer RCL over Carnival when traveling with the kids as we found the kids club to be better. If you do go with Carnival, make sure you pick a newer ship - perhaps the Dream or the Magic.

Tags
2011, allure, carnival, children, compared, comparision, cruise, difference, disney, forums, kids, magic, oasis, review, seas, vs