Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Questions and Answers > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 12:18 PM

Default Cruising with 18 month olds. Need advice
Hello! We r about to go on our first cruise in two weeks with our 18 month old twins. We are going to Mexico, haiti, cayman islands, Jamaica on freedom of the seas on august 19th. Would love advice on which excursions to take considering the age of the kids and any on board advice as well! Thanks!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Bear in mind that the children will not be allowed in the pools on the ship unless they are potty trained.

Excursions...Grand Cayman is a tendering port which means you will be taking a smaller boat from the ship to shore. Once there I recommend the Turtle Farm. For Cozumel I'd go to Chankanaab State Park. You can google these and get more details.

There isn't much I can suggest for Jamaica. At Labadee you are on Royal Caribbean property the whole time so once again it is primarily a beach day.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 PM

I would recommend leaving the twins at Adventure Ocean (the official kid's program) while you enjoy your time in port. The children will have more fun there and it will give you a chance to relax as well.

Keep in mind that at 18 months old...they will never remember this cruise.

Enjoy,

Brad

Old 07-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure about the inport 'Babies and Tots' sitting service they offer, but 18 months is too young for the drop-off Adventure Ocean programs. Royal Babies and Tots has interactive sessions but a parent must remain there.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:47 PM

Oh my goodness...I am terribly sorry for that mistake. I guess I forgot that the Adventure Ocean program has a minimum age of 3 years to participate. My youngest was already 5 years old when we took her on her first cruise and I was really thinking about that.

I guess you will need to take them along after all. Again, sorry for the oversight.

Good luck!

Brad

Old 07-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Brad, actually I do not know if they have the baby sitting service while in port. They may well do so. Now, personally I could never go off the ship and leave my toddler aboard unless I was just staying in the immediate area of the pier for a short period.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 AM

Dave,

I guess the more I think about it, you are correct...18 months old is still very young. I have never had a problem leaving my children with a family member when they were that little, but not on a ship in a foreign country.

With that in mind, perhaps the turtle farm, the state park or a beach break type excursion would be the best choice.

Anyway, sorry for my confusion and have a great trip!

Brad

Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 AM

Be sure to pack more diapers, formula, wipes and food than you think your baby will need for the duration of the trip. Many cruise lines do not sell these items in their stores and getting to a supermarket at the ports can be difficult. If you are concerned about traveling with your stroller, reserve one through the cruise line or opt for an infant carrier such as a sling or backpack.

Tags
18, 31, chankanaab, child, cruise, cruising, freedom, good, month, mth, olds, review, seanmccloudyahoocom, seas, tips, toddlers