Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Questions and Answers > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 PM

Default Planning for a cruise in November-ish
Hi all!!

I am new to this forum and new to cruising as well. I was wondering if I could get any insight on taking a cruise to the Bahamas in November.

I have heard good things about Royal Caribbean, and found out that they have about 3 cruises in November all about a week apart (on the Enchantment of the Seas), with one cruise during Thanksgiving weekend. The price declines the later the date. Any reason for that? Is there a better time to go in November, and should I avoid the Thanksgiving weekend date? Would even early December be too late?

I have searched the Internet for weather conditions around that time, and they all seem to come up with the same consensus - around 80 degrees or so. However, these were all responses from many years ago.

Has anyone traveled to the Bahamas during the winter months recently? What should I expect? I was reading that there are pros and cons for visiting during the winter months, such as 1) it may be busier since most people want to get away from the cold; 2) there may be construction going on if it's off season??; 3) may get rain??, etc.

Also, I would be leaving from the Baltimore port, if that would make any difference aside from the fact that it'll be a bit more cold during the first part and last part of the cruise.

As for the cabin, I wouldn't really mind just going with the cheapest option (without a window on Royal Caribbean) because the idea is that I won't be in the room a majority of the time anyway, right?

But therein lies another question, if it's in November, will any activities on the ship be limited due to weather conditions??

And lastly, would I need a passport to go to the Bahamas? I read somewhere that some places don't require a passport if it's on a cruise.

Anyone able to provide any insight on this and any other advice for me would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by j_rec; 08-07-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Administrator

The reason prices are cheaper in early December is because it is typically a slow time for the cruise industry because it is in between Thanksgiving and the religious holidays in December. People are more involved with holiday planning, gift buying, etc. These are great bargains for cruisers.

Do not dwell on weather conditions. There is no significant difference and you simply cannot predict it anyway. Most of the time any rain is passing in nature and won't last long. Also, if they can, the bridge will steer the ship around any rain if there is something with importance happening on deck. For example, last December on the Rock Legends cruise to Nassau we had a band playing poolside and storm clouds were looming. The ship managed to do some turns and slow down enough that the band (Artimus Pyle) could complete their last set.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:14 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response. I know you said you went to the Bahamas in December; in November, is it relatively the same as far as the volume of people who go? Is this considered the off season with many activities on the island closed, or do you think it will be busy with many people?

Also, my concern with the weather on the ship pertains to the activities one can do on the ship (such as the rock climbing wall, etc). I didn't know if the weather would allow for such activities.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Administrator

If it is windy or raining they don't open the rock-climbing wall, but I have seen that happen in the summer, in the spring, in the winter, and the fall.

The goal of the cruise line is to sail with a full ship, which is why the prices drop typically for early December. Bear in mind December is 'Diamond Celebration Month' which means cabins may not last long before being booked. The celebration gives diamond and above loyalty members double points for December cruises. It is why I have 3 of the cruises listed below my name.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 AM

Another thing to consider is whether or not you like children...If so, then it would seem that any of the dates you mentioned would be fine. If not, then it may be best to avoid the weekend after Thanksgiving. My family has taken a cruise over Thanksgiving the last two years, simply because our children were out of school for the week and you may notice more of them on the ship that week.

Anyway, just giving you something else to consider.

Have fun,

Brad

Tags
bahamas, caribbean, cold, considered, cruise, cruises, cruising, forum, holiday, nov, november, royal, thanksgiving, weather, yahoo