Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Questions and Answers > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 04:48 PM

Default Shore excursions Advice E.Caribbean
Hello! We r about to go on our first cruise in one week with our 2 years old sun. We are going to Nassau, St. Thomas and Philipsburg on allure of the seas. Would love some advice on which excursions to take considering the age of my kid and any on board advice as well! Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Administrator

You certainly picked a great ship for your first cruise. Allure is nothing short of amazing. The ship is probably the best example of a floating resort where you will find it hard to run out of things to do. Just go with what you want to do! The Cruise Compass is the daily activity list and it is delivered to your cabin each day. You can also get copies at the guest relations desk if you need extras. Read it carefully. I always have a copy with me.

Tours are subjective. As you may suspect, many of them do have age restrictions where a 2-year old cannot go because of what the tour entails. You will be able to see videos of all the tours on your cabin TV which will help you decide.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
You certainly picked a great ship for your first cruise. Allure is nothing short of amazing. The ship is probably the best example of a floating resort where you will find it hard to run out of things to do. Just go with what you want to do! The Cruise Compass is the daily activity list and it is delivered to your cabin each day. You can also get copies at the guest relations desk if you need extras. Read it carefully. I always have a copy with me.

Tours are subjective. As you may suspect, many of them do have age restrictions where a 2-year old cannot go because of what the tour entails. You will be able to see videos of all the tours on your cabin TV which will help you decide.
Thanks Dave for your advice!

Iīm going to be more specific with my questions, any recomendations any one can give me, i will be greatful.

I know itīs very subjective my post but we want to exploit the more we can, and we havenīt got a big budget family for this trip (our currency chance is 1 dolar for 6!) so we would try to do our best to enjoy the most!!

From what Iīve been reading here, we think it would be a good chance doing this:

Nassau: we will take a cab to Atlantis and enjoy the place and the beach, if we stay 2-3 hours there, can we enjoy it? so then take a walk at Bay Street and the downtown, and have a lunch somewhere around.

St. Thomas: try to go to Coki Bay and do some snorkeling, and enjoy the beach (are there places to have lunch there?), visit some places of interest at main st.

St. Maarten: we like to show our kid Maho beach (how long will it takes us to go there and return? the flights schedules are near the port where we arrive as to be sure there will be one jumbo to see? Is it worth it visiting Pic Paradise? Or we should choose Marigot and Grand Case instead? Or make the three?

And we would do some shopping, in electronics stuff, wich is best: St Tomas or St Maarten?

Thank you all
Old 10-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Look at this website for St. Thomas beach information.

Maho is a good 10 miles from where the ship docks, and given the traffic on St. Maarten it can eat up 30-45 minutes each way. If you want to try it, a taxi is really the best choice.

You really can't hit all three beaches on St. Martin. The transit time makes it impossible given a cruise ship schedule, and bear in mind that if the itinerary says the ship leaves at 5pm that means they are pulling away at 5pm. They want the passengers back aboard at least 30 minutes earlier (4:30pm). This is true for all ports.

The beaches at St. Maarten/St. Martin can have some heavy duty tides so please be careful with your child in the water. There is a public beach right where the water taxi from the ship's pier to the main downtown is located. Yes, even though the cruise ship will dock the dock is off a little ways from Philipsburg they have a water taxi (it costs a few dollars for an all-day pass) that cuts down on the time needed to get to the town. You can walk it, but it takes a while and is through an industrial/seedy area.

Your plan for Nassau is fine. There is a free beach very near Atlantis that is nice. Atlantis is not a cheap place for anything.

St. Maarten is really the best choice between the two for purchases of electronics.

Tags
allure, beach, excursioin, flight, maarten, maho, schedule, schedules, seas, shore, st, stmaarten, thomas, tides, whats