Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Questions and Answers > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 AM

Unhappy First time-no clue
Dear friends,
I should apologize in advance if my post seems funny but I never been on a cruise nor anyone I know was willing to give info.
I normally pack so much to avoid missing anything, even on my international vacations. This time, can't, due to the space limitation of the cabin.
Questions:
1- Am I packing based on a no laundry vacation or there is laundry room accessible?
2- Do they offer beach towel on the ship or I should take couple?
3- Do they have hairdryer available?
4- Do we need converters to use our phone chargers, or it is just a regular plug (US) ?
5- I've heard that if we don't have a watch or alarm, we won't know what time it is - we have inside cabin- Do they have alarm clock in the rooms like a regular hotel?
6- Do they have doctors on board 24/7?
7- Are passengers mostly use flip flops on the ship or dressy sandals?
8- During the day-on the ship : Does everyone dress as if they are going to the beach, to a casual office party or to the amusement park?
9- Is it better to take one suitcase for 3, or 3 carry-ons?

Thanks

Last edited by QueenMe; 11-20-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 AM

Queen Me, Welcome,

1) I don't know what ship you're going on, but some ships do have self-laundry. You can always pay and have laundry sent out for regular laundry or dry cleaning. There will be bags in your closet with a price list and instructions for sending laundry out for cleaning.

2) Yes, the ship has large beach towels. Usually one per person are placed in your room. Some ships have gone to not placing them in the room and you check them out up by the pool. You can check them in and out everyday to get a clean one. Just make sure whatever you check out, the same number is checked back in or you will be charged for the towel. (Approx $22-$25).

3) Hair dryers are either in the vanity drawer or in the bathroom.

4) Most cabins are limited on their plugs. Usually there is one regular outlet for use by the vanity. The two new ships Allure and Oasis have extra plugs and have a dock for Ipods etc.

5) There are no alarm clocks in the cabin. There is a clock on the telephone in the cabin. You can also use the telephone to set a wake-up call.

6) Yes, there is a Doctor on board 24/7. They are opened set times during the day and on call at other times. There is a charge for services.

7) Flip flops and sandals, tennis shoes, regular shoes, all are worn on a cruise. No flip flops in the main dining room.

8) During the day people dress in what they feel comfortable. Around the pool bathing suits and cover ups. The rest of the ship - shorts, sundresses, jeans, casual clothes. At night you will see a wide variety of dress from resort casual, (dockers & polos, nice sundresses) to something you would wear to the office, church, or a wedding, up to formal. Again, it's how each individual feels comfortable dressing. You should read the dress code found on line for the cruise line you are sailing.

9) Don't over pack. Mix and match clothes. You don't need a different pair of shoes for every outfit. Take half of what you think you will need. Space is limited for drawers and closets. You can store luggage under the bed. I always try to go as light as possible. I fit everything I need in one roll bag and an extra tote for my bathroom necessities. Shampoo, shower gel, and soap, will be in the bathroom.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 AM

Wink To answer most of these questions,,go to ship
website or brochure,because ea.ship is different re details.Some of the larger ships have different amenities than smaller.So hard to make a general statement.

But,,would pack 3 carry ons for 3 people just for ease.

Most all ships provide hairdryers,have laundry room,,dress casually during day(can wear flip flops),,dress better for nite(no flip flops).Some have Drs.(small ones don t)..never on river ships for instance.

For specific questions,call ships toll free number.Good luck and remember to have fun,if you forget something can buy onboard or in port.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Talking No-Clue
Wow! Great number of questions. Welcome to Cruise Chat, where there are NO silly or dumb questions. Never hurts to ask. I can only speak for Royal Caribbean, as they are the only ships I've cruised upon. None of them have self service laundry. There IS an on-board laundry service that is very reasonably priced (more than on shore, but still not too bad.) Do NOT over pack! You're going on vacation for a week or less-think ahead. For guys like me, kahkis for dinner in dining room (shorts are not wanted there, nor flip flops), shorts (2) and five or six shirts, gym shoes and flip flops, maybe one pair dress shoes(I wear clean gym shoes all the time), pool wear, hats (sun is harsh in the caribbean), maybe water shoes, etc. On most 7 days trips, they will have two "formal" nights, where you CAN, if you wish, dress up for dinner (Not Required). Over packing, I would say, is the "newby" biggest mistake. Our first cruise, the wife packed the house, and barely got through 1/4 of it. Towels (both bathroom and possibly beach) will be in your cabin, along with small travel size bottles of shampoo and conditioner and skin cream, hair dryer (being bald, turtle wax and a buffing cloth for me) and several US type 110 electrical plugs. I've been told that with an inside cabin, at night, they are "severe dark"; maybe a small night light would be a good idea. No actual clocks, but the phones have a clock in them, and wake up calls are easy to set up and receive. There will be pleanty of storage areas, a TV, phone, Wi-Fi for a charge on SOME ships in the cabin, but more than likely a few "hot spots" around the ship. During the day, dress depends on where you are. Pool deck is pool attire or shorts, amusement park clothing is a good way to describe clothing inside or pool deck. Once you give the stewards your bags upon arrival at the ship, ou probably won't se them till around or after dinner. Carry-on a small bag with any medications you may need, and any other short term essentials. First night dinner is very forgiving of dress, since many may not get theri bags until after dinner. That's enough for now-have a great time! You WILL be hooked!!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Talking
After 30 cruise, I think I can get everything into a grocery bag now:-)...Just don't over pack....

Dark slacks, a skirt and a few tops....nobody will notice if you wear the same clothes for a couple of days...because they will be too:-)

Sport coat and one dress shirt, golf shirts....or just don't dress up...This is a vacation, remember....

You will get the hang of it after a few cruises.....because after the first one...there WILL BE MORE;-)....

Happy Sailing to us all...

Bob E
Old 11-20-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1012 View Post
Once you give the stewards your bags upon arrival at the ship, ou probably won't se them till around or after dinner.
Wow...I will be so uncomfortable without my stuff. Is this common for all cruise lines? We are going with Caribbean Cruiseline (Bahamas Celebration).
Why do we need to give up our bags? I thought you get on the ship, then checkin to your room, while carrying your own stuff.
That I have to ask. This makes me super upset. I am not bald at all and very needy of my hair product to keep my curly hair in place.
Thanks for the tip
Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 AM

I am very much familiar with Ft. Lauderdale's weather, which I am using as reference for packing for Bahamas. BUT what about inside the cabin? Shall I pack warm clothes for sleeping? Do they offer extra blanker at no charge in case?
I have heard that the hallways are cold but don;t know if we can adjust the room temperature or not?
It is funny: I have traveled more than 7 different countries but never been this nervous about a trip. I am not excited to be cold, under water cabin, and no suitcase.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Thanks for telling us the ship you'll be sailing -- that makes a huge difference as different cruise lines might have different policies and amenities.

HERE is the FAQ page for your cruise line and ship. One that jumps out at me right away is that the ship is on 220V power -- so you will need a converter for your U.S. electronics. Also, hairdryers are not provided in the cabin. You will need to go to the front desk or ask your cabin steward for one.

Regarding luggage, you can bring a carry-on bag onboard that contains medications, other valuables, or items you will need right away. We have a small carry-on for this purpose.

Your cabin steward can supply an extra blanket or two, if needed. Also -- be assured that your cabin won't be below the waterline. There are several decks below the passenger decks, that are not marked on the deck plans as they are for crew only.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 AM

Be advised that the cruise experience on Bahamas Celebration is not typical of the major cruise lines Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise line, Holland America, Princess, and others. The Bahamas Celebration is an older, smaller ship with a very small pool. The ship is choppy in it's layout and can be a bit confusing finding your way around it. Depending on which cabin category you chose the cabin may be very small. Dining and entertainment options may be limited.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I only want you to know what to expect with this ship. I truly hope you have a fun time.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Administrator

No passenger cabins are under water. Luggage has to fit in a standard x-ray machine in order to be carried aboard by passengers, thus larger suitcases are handed off to porters outside the terminal and go through separate security screening, then are moved aboard and delivered to the cabins. It is no different than at an airport. All luggage must be checked for security reasons.

As alluded to in other posts, the Bahamas Celebration was not originally a cruise ship but a ferry that did service in the Baltic area. It was converted into a cruise ship but there were limitations on what could be done. I think the ship still has the vehicle parking deck, for instance.

Tags
baggage, bahama, biggest, bottles, cabin, carnival, celebration, cruise, cruisers, full, lines, mistaked, packing, shampoo, size, sunshine, time