Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Questions and Answers > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 03:05 AM

Default First Cruise - What about Security
Hello,

Im from Germany...and first of all I wanna say sorry cause my English ist not the best.

But I have some qustions about Security. We all have heard something bout the tragedy of the Costa Concordia early 2012.

me and my wife started planning our first Crusade. We want to start early in start 2013 with the journey.

I hope that here are a lot of people who have a lot to tell about cruising. Whats really good, whats not so good.

And especially about the safety and security of the ships.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 AM

Thumbs up First,,don t worry so much about security.
know its easy to say,but have been on,at least 25 cruises.,and thats always been addressed very well.Never felt worried in the least.It s VERY RARE to have similar accident.That being said, try to find 1 or 2 cruiselines you re interested in,,then google the ship and word security.Should give you websites to check for details.
Second,your English is MUCH BETTER than my German.
Glad you checked out this site,when you find which ship,itinerary,etc.Let us know and we can help further.I ve gone on regular ships like RCL>and then premium like Oceania.Also luxury like Seabourn,Regent,SeaDream.So find out what you want to see and spend,size of ship,etc.Lots of research.Good Luck.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:48 AM

Oh thx, but I think thats normal, cause english a is much more international Language than German.

We have started to check out, which ship is the best for us. But we think, that Royal Caribbean is quiet good. And the price is okay.

The german Cruising Lines are very expensive for less comfort.

My wife thinks that we should travel on our first trip not too long and on an smaller ship.

I think, we should go for 2-3 weeks on the biggest ship

I hope well find a way
Old 11-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Thumbs up Security
Do you plan on staying and cruising in Europe, China, The Med, or coming to the States and maybe Alaska or the Caribbean? Many of Royal Caribbean's cruises are 7 days, some shorter; it truely depends on where you wish to go, and from which port you want to sail from. I believe that, to get a cruise that would be more than 13 days would probably be a repositioning or a trans-atlantic, either from the US to Europe, or the other way. For a smaller ship, MY recommendation would be a Radiance class ship. Nice, and my wife and I described our first time on one as being slightly more "elegant" (classy or pretty). Our Favorite size are the Eagle, or Voyager class ships. Either way, and which ever ship and cruise you choose, I know you'll love it, and will be hooked!! And your English is just fine.

Need some cruise help?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Wink Think your wife is RIGHT,,for first cruise
I think 3 wks TOO LONG. You might not like it (hard to believe,but true).Some get sea sick,for instance.
Maybe the Med.would be a good option,since not far to go and wonderful area.
Think of it as your FIRST cruise,then can change what you liked or didnt like.Perhaps ship too big, cabin too small, itinerary not right,etc.
We started on the larger RCL ships,but found we preferred smaller(700 or less passengers ,such as more luxury lines like Regent,etc)and limit our cruise to 2wks MAX>we like to have a day in ea.port before and after.That way you don t have to rush off ship to make air arrangements.Seems everyone want s to be FIRST ONE OFF AND ON ship.
Let us know what you decide.Lots to consider,I know.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Talking Cruise
Alexandra; do you know of any cruises that are three weeks? That would by MY idea of heaven on earth!! Seriously, are there any like that?

Need some cruise help?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:42 PM

Talking Yes, you can book portions of
around the world cruises.See them on Seaborn,Regent..but probably on many others.

Too me,that would be TOO LONG,,but to each his own.Have heard of people who book around the world tours and just live on boat year round. Cheaper than some nursing homes and much nicer,,if you re super rich,that is.;Can have room service,Dr. onboard,etc...what a way to go.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1012 View Post
Do you plan on staying and cruising in Europe, China, The Med, or coming to the States and maybe Alaska or the Caribbean?
Good morging everyone,

The most people, also in german Forums are thinking the same way that you do.
Nearly everyone told me to not to sail to long for the first time.

And I think they are right.

I think well take a trip in the med first. The journey will start in the port of Barcelona, Italy and takes 15 days. Thats the first offer weve got. But I have to check a lot of other offers.

Cause I think that 15 days are to long, cause as I told, for the first trip, we should take a shorter time...like you said too.

Pretty hard... a lot of things to consider.
But its fun.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1012 View Post
Alexandra; do you know of any cruises that are three weeks? That would by MY idea of heaven on earth!! Seriously, are there any like that?
oh in an german cruise portal there are a lot of cruises of 3 or more weeks.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandra cruiser View Post
around the world cruises.See them on Seaborn,Regent..but probably on many others.

Too me,that would be TOO LONG,,but to each his own.Have heard of people who book around the world tours and just live on boat year round. Cheaper than some nursing homes and much nicer,,if you re super rich,that is.;Can have room service,Dr. onboard,etc...what a way to go.

I think, thats ich very cool lifestyle, but as you said... you have to be rich. Very rich.

Im not ... i have to stay in my home... have to work all day to give my family a 1-2 week cruise journey.

Tags
cheap, cruise, europe, powered, travel, vbulletin