Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Questions and Answers > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Brand new to cruises
Hi everyone.. I am planning a cruise for the Mediterranean and Europe.. It will be a surprise for my wife.. please any help resources. I have never left united states and it seems a bit overwhelming. I am planning it so far ahead to save money and get my vacation time lined up.. Info on who to cruise with, what to do any thing will help. Just me and my wife no kids..
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Welcome aboard.

Cruises in the Mediterranean are more about the ports than about the cruise line or ship. I recommend you find the itinerary that interests you the most and then look at which cruise lines do that itinerary. This narrows things down a little bit.

As to selecting the cruise line, it depends on your lifestyle and what you expect. What is good for me may not be ideal for you. Some prefer a more active nightlife while others want a quieter more classic experience. Give us some more background and our expert members can help guide you.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 AM

Thank you.. My wife and I want to see Italy family from there.. Greece. For sure those 2. Rome.. We at beginning stage.. what we like bar scene ok as long people aren't crazy.. we like quiet and classic. . We love the beaches sunset quiet dinners. We love to site see but could careless about theme parks.. Wife hates Disney World. Epcot was ok to her.. You see where I'm going..

Again any help be great.. I'll answer back as much as I can
Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 PM

A travel agent who specializes in cruises could help you a lot in narrowing down
a cruise for you and your wife. They can also help with airfare, pre or post hotels, and make other suggestions for shore excursions. So far from what you've said it sounds like Celebrity or Princess might fit into your life style. They have some real nice itineraries in the Mediterranean.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Check out the Celebrity Cruises itineraries on their stunning Solstice-class ships. I see they have some that are doing an overnight in Venice.

Let me highly endorse what Cruise Fanatic said about using an agent. You can easily set yourself up for a travel nightmare if you've never cruised before and as you say, you've never left the U.S. We get reports all the time from people who tried to do all the arrangements themselves and problems cropped up.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 AM
Butterz,
This past June I did Princess to the Med and than in Aug I did Celebrity on a Solstice class ship that Dave mentioned. Both did over night in Venice, that is very nice. I loved both trips but Celebrity was still a few notches up for me and my favorite. Both itineraries were fantastic. Have fun planning !! You would not go wrong on either.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 AM

Butterz,
I know to a new cruiser that talking class of ship means nothing to you. What a class of ship means, is the cruise line builds several ships of a certain style, size, and the lay out of the decks are all similar with only minor changes from ship to ship. In most cases (not all) the first ship they build of that class is also the name of the first ship. This is the case with the Solstice class with Celebrity cruise lines. Celebrity built five ships in the Solstice class- Celebrity Solstice, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Silhouette, and Celebrity Reflection is brand new in 2012. The Celebrity Silhouette has a wonderful 10-nt Mediterranean itinerary leaving from Rome and ending in Venice and you would spend the last night on the ship in Venice giving you plenty of time to visit Venice. The ship also does an itinerary in reverse starting in Venice and ending in Rome, or another roundtrip itinerary leaving Venice and ending in Venice.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 AM

I can offer some help once you have your plans more in place. I have been to Italy and Greece on a previous Med cruise and plan on going again this summer. I can help with information about how to get from the airport to the ship, train travel, how to get from several common ports to the main tourist attractions.

Let me know when you have something selected and I would be glad to help.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM

Just my two cents worth... if at all possible, try to book an itinerary that includes Santorini. All of the Greek isles are very nice. But, Santorini is simply magnificent!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Doc! Where have you been?

I've often thought about how nice it would be to charter a yacht and tool around the Greek islands for a couple weeks. Of course that isn't likely to happen.