Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Questions and Answers > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 AM

Default Not airlines cruises
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPayne View Post
Laurel2

Yes, if you pack bottled water for the airplane, you will be charged an overweight bag fee if your bags are over 50 pounds. Check with your airline to see how much they charge for overweight / heavy bags.
I know an airline would charge but I am asking about cruise bag weights. Can you pack as much heavy stuff as you want on the cruise, can you pack foods and waters etc.. in unlimited amounts?
How many bags can you bring?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Administrator

As I said earlier, they do have a limit on personal water and they don't want it as part of checked luggage. Officially the Royal Caribbean policy still says personal beverages, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, are not allowed with the exception of 2 bottles of wine per adult. However, the reality is the security at the embarkation ports don't usually care about a 12 pack or so of water or soda per person in the carry-on luggage. When you board a ship you go through screening similar to an airport with all personal items x-rayed and you clearing a metal detector. The same happens each time you return to the ship while on the cruise.

When you arrive at the ship on embarkation day, your main luggage has to be checked in with the porters. They put it in transfer bins, which are then moved to a screening area where ship's security is involved as they x-ray each piece. Luggage with questionable items, such as a lot of bottles, will be pulled aside. If unlocked they will open the suitcase. If locked they will call you to the security area on the ship to open it in their presence. If prohibited items are found they will confiscate them and return legal items when the cruise ends.

While most cruise lines set no weight limit for luggage, they do use the term 'reasonable amount'. Bear in mind the typical cabin is around 150-200 square feet including the bathroom and closet and you are responsible for storage of your suitcases in your cabin. Thus, one or two pieces per person is the norm. Many of us can pack for a cruise with just a carry-on roller bag and a small suitcase. I only use a carry-on for shorter cruises like a 4-nighter. Efficient packing.

Why would you want to bring food? Perishable items would be a problem. You can't bring fresh fruit aboard, or ashore from the ship. Against the law both in the U.S. and in most countries you will visit.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:32 AM

[quote=Dave;297748] Why would you want to bring food?

Since I read everything is extra not included, then food is not free and has to be bought at the restaurants, and because my stomach is messed up and I can't have things with spices in them. I was thinking of things like bread for snacks, and maybe cheese if they allow cheese. I just asked about unlimited so I would know, but was not planning to bring a huge amount of food. It is always better to know the limits before you start out on a venture. But, maybe some sort of stock food is free, but you can eat out at the restaurants? Someone posted they had to eat at johnny rockets everyday, but hot dogs and hamburgers are not on my diet.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:00 PM

Food in the main dining room and room service is included in your cruise fare. Check with the cruise line to find out which restaurants have an additional charge. Johnny Rockets, as an example, had I believe a $4.95 cover charge, all you can eat. Drinks were extra.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 03-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Administrator

There is plenty of food included in the cruise price. On Adventure Of The Seas you have:

Included in the cruise:

Main dining room - breakfast, lunch, dinner (always free)
Windjammer buffet - breakfast, lunch, casual dinner (always free)
Cafe Promenade - desserts, sandwiches, snacks, coffee, tea - 24 hours (always free)
Room Service - sandwiches, salads, desserts - 24 hours (free except from midnight to 5am when they charge $3.95 service fee)

On Adventure the only places that charge to eat is Johnny Rockets ($4.95) and Portofino ($20). You can also get Ben & Jerry's ice cream and that costs extra.

Most cruise ship food is cooked to appeal to broad tastes, meaning it isn't highly seasoned. Gluten-free is available. So is vegetarian and lactose-free.

I did three cruises in the past 3 months. All on Liberty Of The Seas. I didn't spend one penny extra on meals and ate 'a lot' every day.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Look at this webpage for details about dining services on Royal Caribbean. Please note that the listed dining venues are not on every ship.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel2 View Post
I know an airline would charge but I am asking about cruise bag weights. Can you pack as much heavy stuff as you want on the cruise, can you pack foods and waters etc.. in unlimited amounts?
How many bags can you bring?
Are you serious? Just how much do you intend to bring onboard? Who packs food to take on a cruise ship? I really don't think cruising is something you should be planning in the near future.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Administrator

You can see some menus at the Royal Caribbean blog. Cruise lines generally use the same menus fleet-wide so don't pay attention to the ship names. They don't change them very often. They did revise some things last fall but not significantly. At least this will give you some idea. Meals are served by great waiters in typical formal restaurant style.

Yes, you will see a steak for $14.95, and lobster and surf and turf for more on the sample menus. You don't have to buy it.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:06 PM

I like your last reply, Sonny. I am not sure where Laurel has been getting her information, but it is probably a good thing that she found her way to this site.

Please, keep asking questions and pretty soon you will have all the information you need to really enjoy your cruise.

Good Luck!

Brad

Old 03-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Administrator

As further reassurance that you will have plenty to eat, I am a vegetarian who requires a lot of protein and iron in my diet and I have never gone hungry on a cruise. And, there was always a reasonable selection.

You can (and should) let your dining room waiter know of your particular food sensitivities so that your meal can be made according to your needs. Actually, you might also be able to submit this request before the cruise (Royal Caribbean cruisers, help me out here).

Tags
caribbean, celebrity, cocktails, cost, cruises, dining, drink, drinks, eat, food, free, main, order, room, royal