Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Questions and Answers > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 02:35 PM

Default higher deck or lower deck?
we are going on NCL Pearl in the summer we are getting an inside state room

should we book on the 9,10,11th floor or the 4 or 5th....does it make a difference?
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Generally the lower the deck the less you will feel the roll of the ship......this is beneficial if you are prone to seasickness or in really bad weather. Lower decks are normally lower in cost also. Many first time cruisers feel most comfortable cruising in a cabin located midship on a lower deck!!

Bon Voyage,
BillyBuzzy
Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 PM

I theory it make a difference - I went to different areas of a ship when we have rough seas and really couldn't feel much difference. There probably would be more of a difference if you were lying on your bed. That's when I feel the motion of the ocean the most.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 AM

Thumbs up I d go for mid ship
both deck and cabin for least noise and rumble from engine,thrusters,etc.Then less ocean roll too.But inside cabin?would go nuts, have claustrophobia,and need at least a porthole.But have fun either way.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Like Alexandra We need at least a porthole cabin to avoid claustrophobia. Some Ships offer virtual portholes but we have not yet spoken with anyone who has sailed in such a cabin. Unlike Sonny We are more sensitive to the motion of the ocean and we tend to notice a difference in cabin position....we cruise in a fairly wide variety of cabins...and prefer forward cabins.

BillyBuzzy
Old 11-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Nice to have something for everyone. We always go for the highest deck !

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Administrator

A consideration with this particular cruise is that you'll spend most of the time in the Inside Passage where the waters are usually placid and the only waves are those created by the ship's bow.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:44 PM
On our recent passage to Hawaii (Jan/Feb 2014) from Long Beach, Ca to Hawaii we spent 5 days heading West and 6 days heading East. We were plagued by rough seas and high winds (up to 70 knot gusts). The Carnival Miracle, which is a fine Ocean Cruiser, was seriously pitching (front and rear) and rolling for a bit more than 5 of the total sea days. We were unable to make port in Kona, Hawaii due to the wave action. Many of the veteran cruisers suffered sizeable bouts of Mal De Mer (Seasickness) and many passengers were spotted wearing patches behind their ears!!!

Fortunately, Our experience in choosing a lower deck balcony located midships proved its weight in gold as we were quite comfy and had no issues. Karen, my SO, wore a Seaband for about 3 hours. Dinner at Nick and Nora's Steakhouse up on Deck 10 Aft was a trip...We kept watching the Hostess carefully stagger around on high heels as the ship pitched and rolled. She handled it well....Dining venues were never too crowded (understandably)!!

Given Our recent Pacific Crossing experience We would, without hesitation recommend Lower deck, midships for inexperienced cruisers. Don't You ever wonder why future Naval Officers in Training are called "Midshipmen"?

BillyBuzzy
Old 02-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Even as a grizzled old Navy man I can have moments of motion sickness, although not severe. I do recall having to leave dinner on the Carnival Legend in 2005 because of the motion and going back to the cabin and laying down. Of course on that cruise we had an aft-facing balcony and we got to feel lots of the pitching, so laying down didn't help much but after a while I was back in fighting form. I do know I was happy to see our next port.

I had a studio cabin on the Norwegian Getaway last week and even though I am claustrophobic I was fine. They are nice cabins for the single cruiser. BTW, Billy, if you are going on Getaway you will like it. Great ship and crew.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Dave...Yes, the NCL Getaway is very high on Our future cruise list!!! We have been admiring the NCL Breakaway but a cruise on the Getaway is more likely!!!
the return of Oceanview cabins offers a friendly option as the smaller balconies have no appeal!!! WE are very careful in choice of cabin and the current new class of NCL ships will see us aboard....Unfortunately not till 2016 will we have an opening. We are booked right thru to Dec. 2015 at present and a Transatlantic is in the offing for
spring 2016!!! We are traveling 5 months a year now.......and Family weddings are keeping us near the shore!!!

We had a nice read of Your Getaway voyage.......it is nice to be back and online.....We cut the electronic ties when away.....it makes the holiday much less stressful!

BillyBuzzy

Last edited by billybuzzy; 02-17-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
cabin, caribbean, carribean, cost, cruise, deck, deck3, decks, higher, low, lower, moehobbiinfo, prone, royal, seasick, ships