Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2005, 10:17 PM

Good morning from germany Carlalena

itīs 6 am and as you can see, still reading the board.
About tipping: I always thought, that only european people have problems with tipping. Iīve heard so many discussions on my tours in the US and how they calculated the tip on the cent, not to pay more as recommended.
In germany we are not used to tip and I had so many discussions, that the situation in the US or now on Cruise ships is totally different.
But on the last cruises Iīve heard more and morge discussions between people from the US. Some decided to tip nothing or give only a small tip. I canīt understand this. Also how passengers treat crew members. My opinion is, to show them your respect and how much you appreciate their work. They are doing so much for your vacation and what are doing some passengers? Ignore and disobay the crew.
I always take a few minutes to talk to the stateroom attendends and many other crew members. And it goes without saying to tip them good at the end of the cruise and here and then during the cruise.

Have a good day
Marita

Old 11-10-2005, 10:59 AM

I have to say I have totally enjoyed reading this thread. I offer up a big STANDING O to Carlalena for posting the initial topic. Job well done!!! Now, if you can give us your PayPal ID, we can all send you a nice tip.

I'm Kidding.

Seriously - we must always remember those who provide us service, whether on a cruise ship or in our local restaurant. Spending two summers as a waiter in college, I am very aware of the importance of tipping at the end. That is why when my family goes out to eat, I start with 15% in mind - and as long as my basic needs are met (re-fill my drink, clear my dish when I'm done, and be approachable) I am usually at 20%. It has to be pretty bad service for me to drop below 15%.

So, when my family took our first cruise this past summer on Royal C., we initially looked at the approx. $10 / day / person recommendation as a lot of money. But by day 2, I realized it was nothing. At the end of the cruise, we did the Voucher process the R.C. offers - but we tossed in an additional $20 into the envelopes of our Cabin Stewart, Waiter, and Assistant Waiter, and $10 for the Head Waiter.

Almost from that point I have questioned whether it was enough. Having read this thread, I am still questioning whether I should have put in more.

But like Carlalena, having read so many other posts and complaints about tipping from other posters, I fear that my tossing in some additional money may place me in the minority.

Thanks to everyone on this thread. There is some very interesting things to think about.

Enchantment - August 2005

Closed Thread

Tags
boat, bucks, cabin, caribbean, cruise, destinations, forced, helpers, nys, outrageous, outrageouse, pay, review, reviews, royal, stewards, ten, tipping, tips, top