Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 AM

As I posted before; I have done about 10 cruises in the past, but theses last two years have been tight with money. After working thru it and saving for it "I'm going on a cruise"
I have a Dec 4th cruise plan which I feel good about because this is one that "SONNY" is going on also.

I'm working thru the details now - I will upated as I go.

1. I booked the cruise two weeks ago - I took a Q-inside which was the cheapest price for two. I was thinking I would be on the 2nd floor after getting my paper work we have a inside cabin on the 9th floor - which is great we can use the steps (inside cabin is fine with me and my daughter, we just use the cabin to shower and sleep). I did check the price this week for the same Q-inside the price was $320.00 HIGHER.

Now I'm working on airfare.

Also I'm looking for a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale -we would like to make the most out of our time there. We should get there about 1 p.m.

Looking for help with:

Hotel - that includes picking up from airport and drop off at port and breakfast.

Things to do - we are looking at the watertaxi -maybe a walk on the beach.

And some were for dinner - not fast food

My budget for Fort Lauderdale is $200.00
Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 PM

Congrats, DSR, glad you've worked through it. You deserve it! The water taxi only runs in Ft. Lauderdale, unfortunately. The only place I know that offers free transportation is the Sleep Inn in Dania. You might want to check to see if they have a Comfort Inn in Ft. Lauderdale that might offer free transportation.

If you can stay somewhere near the intracoastal, the water taxi is $10/pp per person and you can get on/off as many times as you'd like. There's the Southport Bar and Grill on Cordova that has fresh seafood, plus other items for a reasonable price. Someone mentioned Best Western in Ft. Lauderdale, but I have not stayed there.

Lester's diner is on State Road 84. They have fantastic food there. You could even go to the Pier 66 Bar and Grill and split an entree. The prices are high, but they pile on the food. I'm not lying, 1 serving could feed 4 easily.

If I know where you're staying, I can find some good places for you.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Thanks Penny, after re-thinking about it a hotel close enough to the airport and cruise port with a few things to do in between would be fine.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:02 AM

The Water taxi is now $15.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:10 AM

I believe there's an Embassy Suite, Best Western, and the Grande Hotel on 17th Street Causeway that should be less expensive than the Hyatt Pier 66 or the Renaissance. They would be in walking distance to the intracoastal where you can pick up the water taxi. Thank you CF for letting us know the taxi fare has gone up, probably for the season

Anyway, the water taxi is the least expensive way to get around. The first ride, take the tour, all the way to the end. You can jump off and maybe enjoy a beverage or snack at either Shooters or Charlie's. Then you can come back down and get off around Bahia Mar, if you'd like to go to the beach for a while or just walk around the marina and look at the yachts. Then you could get off at one of the Las Olas exits. You could window shop and maybe grab a bite at one of the cafes along Las Olas, there are tons of them. In fact, one of the oldest diners in Ft. Lauderdale is on Las Olas (the Floridian Diner). There are tons of "kitchy" shops on Las Olas, too. I think they have a stop on the water taxi that would get you close to the Elbow Room (Where the Boys Are was filmed there). You can definitely ask the captain or assistant. Hugh Taylor Birch State Park is also another place you can visit. We normally went there for picnics.

The bus system is also very good in Ft. Lauderdale, but I don't know which buses go where anymore. The Galleria Mall is on Sunrise Boulevard. The beach is on A1A and there are tons of places to grab a sandwich or have a beverage.

Hopefully, this will give you a starting point
Old 11-06-2010, 05:10 PM

DSR

Here is a link to a Comfort Inn Airport / Cruise Port South. They have a shuttle to the port as well as the airport, and breakfast is included in the price of the room. If you're an AAA member, make sure you specify that when you make your reservation, as this can save you about 10%.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 11-06-2010, 05:57 PM

McPayne, we have stayed there several times. Nothing fancy, but nice and the free transportation is a bonus.

Nadine

Tags
budget, cruising, intercoastal