Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2002, 10:43 AM

First, let me say I have no problem with people bringing liquor or soft drinks on board. I think people should have the freedom to do as they please. However, some lines have begun a crackdown on alcohol. In some cases they even xray luggage and confiscate items. The reason is that cruise lines depend on onboard charges to make up for lower fares. You may disagree with the policy - I do - but don't be surprised if the bottle police come knocking on your door to seize smuggled booze. Your choices are to purchase expensive drinks on board or book one of the more inclusive cruises where they leave you alone.

Marco Polo, GRAND AFRICA & SOUTH AMERICA

Crystal Harmony, Alaskan Vistas
Old 11-10-2002, 03:57 PM

kudo's for the people that pay that much money for a cruise. Better your pocket book than mine!

No, you are correct. Its not an importance to bring any type of booze on a cruise. But, it would be neat to bring back a bottle of whatever from wherever. Discounts are discounts. And we all feel good when we can get one. Regardless what we paid for our vacation. Correct?!
Old 11-11-2002, 09:53 AM

You risk losing whatever you bought at a bargain price even if the cap IS on tight, and it's packed in those carrying cases they supply. Our first cruise, someone went to lift his cardboard bottle carrier out of the overhead, only to find everyone of the bottles was broken, and when he lifted it down...booze, glass went everywhere...on the seats, floor, not to mention all over the overhead bin. If he was lucky the airlines didn't charge him for cleaning. So much for getting a bargain!!
Old 11-11-2002, 09:56 AM

$5,000 (p/p)for a cruise??? YIKES! You need a new TA fast! We didn't spend that much for 2 people to cruise Alaska, and that was a 10 day land and sea package.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:52 AM

Well it comes pretty close to $5000 for the two of us (Canadians) for our cruise and air package. It took a long time to save that much, so we're going to try and save a couple of bucks by taking our booze on board (in the checked luggage).

Terry
Old 11-13-2002, 03:28 PM

see how important it is to get completely hammered? At least us true alcoholics no the idea of saving a buck! All I can say is small bottle of vodka and a small bottle of rum coke and oj you'll really be sailin!
Old 11-14-2002, 11:23 AM
Banned

I found out that I can get just as intoxicated on water as I can on land. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] If you really want to drink cheap go into one of the jewerly shops and look at the high priced watches Rolex, Patek, Etc and they will give you "free" drinks to try to loosen you up a little. This also works if you are looking at some expensive jewelry. Public drinking is allowed so there are always vendors on the corners selling ice cold beer for $1.00 or $2.00 depending on the island. Be sure to have a lot of singles for this and taxi fare. I always carry a can wrap just to keep it cold. There are also plenty of stores that have rum tasting. So if you don't like the ship's prices wait until you get on shore.

[This message was edited by RIDGID on November 14, 2002 at 11:36 AM.]
Old 11-22-2002, 08:06 PM

I'm NOT interested in taking booze onboard. What I do want to take is a couple of bottles of my favorite Marinellis sparkling apple cider plus a couple of bottles of sparkling water. I will be cruising on Holland American Veendam. Do they confiscate this sort of thing?
Old 11-24-2002, 11:07 AM

We have taken a few cruises and this is what I do. I have always taken my water,soft drinks, and some spirits. My husband wears a size 12 shoe and I pack my water and soft drinks in side them. Wrap them in a zip-loc first. I pour the spirit into a water bottle and pack the same. If I run out of shoes, I pack them in all the little spaces. These are always checked bags. We have used RCCL, Carnival, and Commodore, and have never had a problem with anyone. No airline has had a problem with it and we flew out of New York on 9/16/01. We have carried a case of water on by hand with no problem, with RCCL. Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:02 PM

Wow! I'm new to this board - are the posters always this nasty? How is it anyone's business why this poster wished to bring his/her own booze on board? I thought this was a forum for cruising advice, not moral lectures. Now i'm afraid to ask a question!

Closed Thread

Tags
basket, bon, bottles, corkage, cruise, cruises, emoticon, fee, liquor, pat, search, ship, small, strip, voyage