Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   What is a certified Master Cruise Counselor? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/10430-what-certified-master-cruise-counselor.html)

tiny bubbles 07-07-2007 02:29 PM

And How do you become one?

Dave 07-07-2007 02:37 PM

I hope Sandy will respond, since I know she is an MCC and has been for many years.

In a nutshell, CLIA (Cruise Lines International Association) which is an accrediting organization for professional agents has a program for becoming first an ACC (accredited cruise counselor) and then MCC. This involves completing various training courses, doing X number of cruises, and doing inspection tours of X number of cruise ships. It isn't easy and you have to be a CLIA member and an agent. The average person on the street doesn't qualify.

Cruise Cat 07-07-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Beers:
I hope Sandy will respond, since I know she is an MCC and has been for many years.

In a nutshell, CLIA (Cruise Lines International Association) which is an accrediting organization for professional agents has a program for becoming first an ACC (accredited cruise counselor) and then MCC. This involves completing various training courses, doing X number of cruises, and doing inspection tours of X number of cruise ships. It isn't easy and you have to be a CLIA member and an agent. The average person on the street doesn't qualify.
Dave - sounds like an SRO!

Dave 07-07-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cruise Cat:
Dave - sounds like an SRO!
Yes it does! But I'll wager the SRO makes more money, but has many more headaches.

FYI for those wondering.....SRO is Senior Reactor Operator. This is the NRC licensed supervisor in charge of a reactor control room. It is a job with immense duties, responsibilies, and accountability.

tiny bubbles 07-07-2007 06:49 PM

Off topic, ban them.
As far as being a CCC, I think I am going to do it!

Larry in Miami 07-07-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Yes it does! But I'll wager the SRO makes more money, but has many more headaches.

FYI for those wondering.....SRO is Senior Reactor Operator. This is the NRC licensed supervisor in charge of a reactor control room. It is a job with immense duties, responsibilies, and accountability.
Isn't that what Homer Simpson does? http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...on_biggrin.gif

Sandy 07-07-2007 10:03 PM

Dave, you're quite right in your explanation about becoming a Master Cruise Counsellor. I became a MCC in 1995.

CLIA has instituted two levels of accreditation above MCC now, insuring continuing education and sales proficiency. After MCC now comes ECC (Elite Cruise Counsellor) and the ECCS (Elite Cruise Counsellor Scholar), which means you've taken all the courses offered by CLIA. You also need to show evidence of cruise sales, and of taking and passing tests on new courses CLIA develops. Continuing cruise experience on lines not previously sailed is required as well.

I qualify as an ECC but haven't put everything together and filled out the forms yet.

Sandy

Edited a typo

Dwayne 07-07-2007 10:16 PM

Dave is 100% correct. They also have to sell so many cruises in addition to the other requirements. It is a highly respected accreditation.

Will be interesting if Sandy sees this and tells us all the details.

IslandCruz

Dwayne 07-07-2007 10:19 PM

Sorry Sandy! We cross posted!

WOW! And thanks for the info. And Congrats on this major accomplishment!

IslandCruz

Sandy 07-08-2007 07:04 AM

Thanks, IC! I'm a big fan of continuing education in whatever field one is in, and the MCC accreditation is a nice by-product of that passion.

CLIA is not just an accreditation organization. It's a cruise trade association that also offers education and accreditation. Here is their brief summary:

Cruise Lines International Association is the world’s largest cruise association and is dedicated to the promotion and growth of the cruise industry. CLIA is composed of 24 of the major cruise lines serving North America and is an organization that operates pursuant to an agreement filed with the Federal Maritime Commission under the Shipping Act of 1984 and serves as a non-governmental consultative organization to the International Maritime Organization, an agency of the United Nations.

You can see more information about CLIA at their web site HERE.

Sandy