Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2005, 05:01 PM

If you go to ten online cruise sites for a certain cabin catagory you will find that they all have the same six or seven cabins available.Why don't different sites offer different rooms.I thought some agencies were in better standing with the cruise lines then others.Anyway, you call them and they tell you that these are the only rooms available in this catagory.It's eight months before the cruise,i know they're are more rooms available.Why don't they let you pick your own room?Two weeks later there will be a different set of rooms to pick from in the same catagory.What's up?
Old 05-27-2005, 07:23 PM

It probably has to do with the agencies contracting with the cruise line for a "block" of rooms, in order to offer a group rate. If different websites are offering the same exact cabin numbers, then either they are all part of one company, or else these are the only cabins that are NOT part of other agencies' group allotments. Most of the cruise lines allow an agency to hold a block of cabins for only a specific amount of time (which varies with the cruise line). If those are not sold by the agency before that date, the cruise line "recalls" the unsold cabins and will try to fill them through other means - either by themselves or through a different agency.

You might try working with an in-person travel agent in your area to see if you have more cabin choice. If not, I'd suspect my latter guess was true.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Banned

They allow differant rooms open up at different times. What cruise are you going on. What kind of cabin?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:03 PM

Thanks for your reply Karen and Cruiselover94.I would think that the cruise lines could offer you more than six or seven rooms months before their departure date.The rooms that they have listed are usually not that good.When I said ten online cruise sites offer you the same rooms I really should of said they all offer you the same rooms and that includes the cruise line sites.I've booked my last three cruises with an online site,but I always called.When I talked to the agent I would always try to get a room that wasn' listed,but they said none were available.Has anyone on this site been able to book a room other than the ones listed?Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 11:13 AM

Yes, I have been able to get a room other than the ones offered but not very often. I called into my travel agent and told her what I saw avaiable and what I wanted. I think their agency must have had some rooms that they had on hold like Karen said.
I guess you could try calling into to different agencies to see if they have blocks of rooms reserved.
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 06-07-2005, 11:33 AM

i WOULD DO ONE OF TWO THINGS. fIRST CO TO THE CRUISE LINE SITE TO FIND OUT WHAT THE ARE SHOWING OR i WOULD CALL THEM DIRECTLY AND FIND OUT WHAT IS ON THEIR INVENTORY LIST. i HAVE DONE BOTH AND WHEN YOU GET BACK TO THE TA SITE OF IF YOU CALL, YOU WILL HAVE BETTER INFO TO NEGOTIATE WITH.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:08 AM

Some cruiselines offer better deals if you take a 'room guarantee'. This means you will get the category you pay for but they won't guarantee your actual cabin.

We've just had the luxury of choosing the cabin we wanted and it was the number 1 choice on our list!

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004

Closed Thread

Tags
available, block, cabins, companies, cruise, fill, finding, lines, online, rooms, ship, ships, showing, site, unsold