Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 04:37 AM

Anyone do it? Our son will be 1 in March and we are looking at a cruise then (could be disney, not sure yet). He is a VERY good kid and we are fine with not being able to do some of the more adult things with him along. This would be a family cruise (my parents, sister and niece). Just looking for experiences from others

Thanks!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:37 AM

Anyone do it? Our son will be 1 in March and we are looking at a cruise then (could be disney, not sure yet). He is a VERY good kid and we are fine with not being able to do some of the more adult things with him along. This would be a family cruise (my parents, sister and niece). Just looking for experiences from others

Thanks!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 AM

One year is fairly young. As long as you understand that you are going to miss out on some activities and you are willing to leave the dinning room if he acts up (or just eat in the buffet) then I see no reason to not go on the cruise. If he is potty trained then even better as he can be left with his age group in the cruise lines childern's programs.

Also, if you do go on Disney, I'm sure they are set up to handle that age. Many families go on Disney and not all the children in the family are going to be old enough to be solo...

We cruised on a family cruise and our niece was that young. They didn't have a problem. It can be done.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-30-2008, 08:44 AM

It can and is done. Make sure when you select a cruise line to check out their minimum age requirement for their children activities. Most cruise lines are 18 months and up. Your son cannot swim in the pool (any pool on board) if not potty trained. You will miss out on a lot of activities, but that is up to you. Disney is a great family cruise line, but I'm not sure on the minimum age for their activities. Best wishes!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 AM

hope this helps...I started bringing my children on cruises when the eldest was three and the youngest 1. (Carnival, Bahamas) I personnaly had no problem but do expect him to tire quickly. We still laugh at all the pictures of the youngest sleeping all over the ship...sleeping in the closet...sleeping at dinner... and yes your nights will be earlier than you would probably like. BUT..being on a ship so much fun that in the end the experience will over ride any alterations you need to make for your child. My husband and I enjoyed them (still do) so much at that age that just watching thier faces experiencing new things was a highlight for us. Mine our now 16 and 14, it goes quick..enjoy every moment..and enjoy doing thing with them. There is so much on a cruise and a child at any age should not impair you.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:58 AM

I would save the disney cruises for a time when the little tyke would be able to enjoy the disney aspect of the cruise.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:19 PM

We did a Canada/New England cruise when our daughter was one. She did fine, even in the dining room. It's true that your night life will suffer, so if that is an issue you might want to wait until they are older. They do have babysitting in the evenings if you do want a few hours away, for a fee. They also have time set aside during the day when you can take young toddlers into the play room. I believe it was when the room was closed for lunch on sea days - you can't leave them there of course, but you can stay and play for an hour or so.

One note, the shop on the ship did not carry diapers, so make sure to bring enough with you or make plans to pick some up in port. My husband and son did a fishing trip, so I put my daughter in the stroller and we did a walking tour of Halifax, complete with a stop for diapers at CVS.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 PM
I often wonder when I see parents with such small children why they'd want to to it - seems like they spend the entire time caring for the child. I guess if you have other family to share in the responsibility it would be better. i certainly wouldn't entrust the child with any on board kids program at such a young age - guess I'm just getting old but It seems like more work than a vacation.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:14 PM

I agree with you, denjoker... I always wince at the sight of multitudes of kids running all over the decks playing the scavenger hunt. They will run up and talk to whoever wherever. I know that you are on a confined ship but if I trust my child to ship staff, I want them to be constantly supervised.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator

We cruised with our son when he was a couple of weeks shy of his first birthday, so I can provide my perspective of the reasons. I had to care for him at home, so caring for him on the ship wasn't so difficult. But, it was made easier by not having to cook, clean (although we cleaned up after him), decide what to do in the evenings, etc. It was actually much easier to cruise with an almost-1-year-old than with the same child when he was almost 2 and almost 3. Not that it was bad, but at least he wasn't very mobile on that first cruise.

I wholeheartedly agree that kids should not be unaccompanied on ships. One of the reasons we eventually stopped sending our son to the kids programs (when he was around 10) was that they permitted the kids to go off on their own, and had activities where they'd be unsupervised. But that's a different situation than a baby. Most programs don't start until about age 3.

Closed Thread

Tags
12, baby, bringing, carnival, celebrate, cruise, cruises, cruising, disney, march, reviews, suggestions, taking, year, yr