Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2005, 02:04 PM

Hi All!
I was surfing the net and found an article from the Associated Press that I had missed and found it quite interesting. I apologize if this is old news, but apperently St. Thomas is quite proud of the fact that it broke another record for number of passengers in port at one time. Now, I do enjoy STT, but is anybody else as put off by this announcement as I am? I am not sure that having a record number of passengers visiting an island when I am there is a good thing????
Nancy

April 6, 2005
The island of St. Thomas broke its record for cruise ship passengers arrivals in a single day for the second time this year, officials said Wednesday.

Some 18,800 people poured off eight cruise ships Tuesday, smashing the previous record of 16,000 set two weeks earlier, said Edward Thomas, director of The West Indian Company LLC, which brokers cruise lines visits. The ships included the Queen Mary 2, the world's largest cruise ship.

"We're having a great season," said Steve Bornn, a Tourism Department spokesman. "I love to say it."

St. Thomas, population 50,000, is where Charlotte Amalie, the capital of the U.S. Caribbean territory, is located.

Thomas attributed the rise in visitors to aggressive marketing and a weakened U.S. dollar, which has encouraged Europeans to visit the territory of 110,000 people. At the same time, the decline of the dollar may have encouraged American travelers to head to the territory instead of Europe.

A record 2.6 million tourists visited the U.S. Virgin Islands last year, 9.7 percent more than in 2003, Gov. Charles Turnbull said last month. More than 1.96 million were cruise ship passengers, almost 11 percent more than in 2003.

Associated Press

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-28-2005, 04:08 PM

I fully agree with you Nancy.
Interesting how many people they can manage..??or not..
Old 05-04-2005, 05:38 AM

That is an average of almost 6,000 passengers each and every day. Given the size of the shopping area in Charlotte Amalie, no wonder it always feels crowded.

Tom
Old 05-07-2005, 09:16 AM

On my last visit to St Thomas there were so many ships in port that I got off the ship, made a few quick purchases at the mall by the port and got back onboard. Even the mall by the port was so crowded it was hard to get in the doors to look at anything - I hated it!
Old 05-11-2005, 05:23 AM

Ms Social - I can totally commisserate! The streets in Charlotte Amalie are so narrow to begin with that when there are a number of ships in port - I don't even attempt it!

I was in St Thomas for a wedding last May and surprisingly for the 4 days we were there - there was only one day when there were any ships in port. It was heavenly!!!

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
arrivals, bornn, cruise, number, ported, record, ship, ships, st, steve, thomas, time, vi