Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 12:39 PM

Heresy?? Give me a break! I don't cruise more than once a year, but the variety of food on board RC ships (I've never cruised any line but RC) hasn't changed much in the last ten years. Not that I'm complaining (consider the logistics of feeding 1000s of people efficiently around-the-clock). Putting chain restaurants on board as an alternative to the food that is traditionally offered seems like a great idea to me. I thought Frase's question was a good one, especially considering that cruise ships are heading in that direction already.

[quote]Some day the explorer will have Taco Bell, Denny's and White Castle on the promenade. [quote]

RAD!! I love me some Taco Bell. Not exactly authentic Mexican fare, but at least it will be something to satisfy my cravings for tacos and burritos while on board. I've always been a touch disappointed by the lack of Mexican food on cruise ships. Of course, I'm from California, so I'm probably overestimating the demand for such cuisine from the cruise going population at large. I vote for a Chipotle or a Baja Fresh on board.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Banned

I have to admit, I don't want to see any restaurant chain on a ship. I plan to eat all my meals in the dining room. The menu is excellent. I'm drooling thinking about all the creative, tasty items I will be able to eat.
But, I thought the question was: If they were going to put a chain on the ship what would I like to see. I'd rather not have a commercial chain of anything on the ship. And if I heard they were going to put a Taco Bell, McDonald's, or Starbucks, I would protest.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Hooters, I love the fries and the hot wings.
Fries and hot wings huh? I would have thought it was the melons.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Just call me, Frase The Heretic.

As long as these chain-restaurants supplement the dinning options instead of replacing them, I see no problem. Nobody is forcing anyone to dine there. From my perspective, I see them as something nice outside of the cruising expierience, which now can be brought along with you on a cruise.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Although, it would have to be a nice upscale restaurant such as Olive Garden, Ruth Chris, or similar. Those fast food places would not be a nice addition to the dinning expierience onboard a cruise ship (if that is what everyone is worried about).
Old 08-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

Chef Ken: Did you say "Melons?!"
Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 PM

I think you asked a good question, Frase. You got answers and opinions. Your opinion is still valid but seems to not be in the running of popular opinion. Olive Garden is actually "Casual Dining" but you labeled Ruth's Chris correctly as upscale, (in the steakhouse category).

I am with you in being opposed to the fast food concepts on cruise ships but it is simply a matter of time.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by psychocruiser:
Chef Ken: Did you say "Melons?!"
Did I? I meant coconuts.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:29 PM

Caution...rant ahead.
I would never enter a chain-restaurant on a ship. NEVER. If more people felt this way then the cruise lines would get rid of them.
If the dining hall and buffet area cannot satisfy a person's food cravings then there is something wrong.

I went to Prague last summer. McDonalds was there also. The last thing I wanted to see. I bet in a few years we will see McDonalds on a cruise ship. They will buy themselves onboard.
Say NO to chain restaurants now before it gets out of hand.
My rant is now over.

PS Gentlemen...They are called "breasts" and that is someone's daughter you are talking about.
Okay...rant officially over now

Navigator of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2009, 2011
Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004
Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Banned

Holiday already has a 24-hour pizza parlor. That's enough. If chains like McDonald's were on board, I think it would attract a lower class of people -- exactly the type I'm trying to get away from while on vacation. Yes, I am a snob.

Closed Thread

Tags
cake, chain, cheese, cruise, factory, fast, food, mcdonalds, menu, navigator, norwegian, racine, restaurant, restaurants, seas, ship, ships