Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
I am not a TA, but can sure speak to using Princess and their air. You should price the cruise and also get a price for Princess air (with transfers). Than, check the on-line prices for the air (doing it yourself) and compare! Keep in mind that transfers can be a hassle in England since the ports are located quite a distance from London. Another option with Princess is to use their custom air department which gives you options on choosing your own flights (you do have to pay the difference). We do a lot of European cruising (leaving tomorrow to catch the Brilliance of the Seas in Barcelona) and often find better deals doing our own air (this is true for tomorrow's trip where we got a great price from Aer Lingus). But, I can emphasize to much the transfer issue (particularly if you are new to Europe). Princess often uses Southampton which is accessible via the train from London, but that can be a hassle when you have lots of luggage.

Hank

thanks so much Hank. Have a WONDERFUL cruise!!!
(you lucky thing you!!!!)
Old 11-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by kathycruiser:
I think I saw in another forum, can't remember which, this same topic. They were all comparing booking with a TA because they expected an on-board-credit for their booking. One even said if the agent did not give them, then he would not book with them.
I agree with all of you. When was the last time your local grocery store or WalMart, or furniture store, or clothing store. etc. gave you an in-store-credit everytime you book with them. If an agent gets 10%(?)of the base rate of a cruise that cost $800.00. How can that agent afford to give back part of her/his whopping $80.00 before expenses. Out of that $80.00 comes her salary, utilities, office expenses, etc. She may be left with a net profit of about $15.00, maybe. Do the math. I am figuring this on your local, small-town, store front agency. The big guys may be quite different, I do not know. But supporting your local businesses if a plus for everyone, or you may see more and more empty store fronts in your local town.
Just my opinion.

kathycruiser

I could not help but think of our PVP. At first, I thought the little gifts were from "Carnival". But then I found out our PVP pays for them out of pocket. Even though he gets them at a discount, I don't want him spending his own money on us.

So now we have a deal. I told him to forget the drink coupons (or other things that cost him money) and just concentrate on getting me the best deal. If he does that, then I will be happy!

If Carnival is willing to give a discount or OBC when the price goes down, then he will get it for me. But I certainly would never want a TA to cut their commission for it. They work far to hard for that commission.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:20 AM

LHP
Thanks for giving us TA's some credit. We do work hard to get the best for our clients but we do it because we love making our clients cruise dreams come true!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-28-2007, 08:37 AM

I have said it before but a TA is the only way to go. (Maybe because we have a good one!!)
We have our TA arranging our East coast trip now. Now just the cruise, lodging, air, car rentals, and cruise. We are meeting with her on Friday, can not wait to see what options she has for us.
She always as a small gift in our room, sends real BD, and Anniversary Cards out, always sends a going away card, and a welcome home card. We usually get an email from her during the trip just to make sure things are going well.
We have referred at list a dozen booking to her, and all give us the same reports..she and her family run office is great.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by travelgal:
LHP
Thanks for giving us TA's some credit. We do work hard to get the best for our clients but we do it because we love making our clients cruise dreams come true!

Seriously, there isn't enough Valium in the Western Hemisphere for me to do your job!!!

I know your clients for the most part are wonderful....but I have seen the cruising public and there is a large percentage that I would just put through a wall!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:29 PM

quote:
Seriously, there isn't enough Valium in the Western Hemisphere for me to do your job!!!

The interesting thing about being a travel agent is that the better the job is that we do, like finding our clients the lowest fare, the less we get paid. It's an inverse equation but you can't put a monetary value on people thinking we're great when they come back from their cruise!

I always send a cabin gift as well, and put it down to the cost of doing business.

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
commissions, cruise, matching, price, ta