Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 AM

Before I even start this discussion my disclaimer I am not marketing, advertising or soliciting for Diamonds International. Just a statement. Last fall we were on a Carnival Cruise and recieved a coupon at the shopping talk for a free charm bracelet from Diamond's international...then at each port where there is one you can take the bracelet and they will give you a charm specifically designed for that port. You can also order 1 free charm on the computer. We will be going to Alaska in August on NCL does anyone know if we will be able to the free charms at the ports in Alaska. I know they are available for the ports we will visit, but wasn't sure if we would get them free or have to purchase them? We gave these to the 2 youngest granddaughters and they loved having something from the ports we visited

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 PM

We do not waste our time going to get these. We did this at one port and never again. The employees were all over us and we had a hard time even getting the free charm. We have two and they are not keeping well at all. They are losing their shine and turning black. I don't know why the cruise lines alawys wants us to go to these stores. Everytime we walk pass these stores now they are almost empty.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Quote:
I don't know why the cruise lines alawys wants us to go to these stores.
Can you say "kickback"?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:52 PM

they want you to go to these stores because the cruise line owns the stores.
as far as the charms. I dont know about alaska but we have always been able to get one at the other ports.
And I think giving them to the Granddaughters is adoreable. I am going to start doing the same thing.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Administrator

The cruise lines don't own the stores but they do have sales and marketing contracts with them.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Dave, I have my info wrong. someone had told me that carnival owned diamond international, and I believed it. lesson learned
Old 05-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
someone had told me that carnival owned diamond international
. . . .and I was told that Princess owned it; you'd think they did by the way they promote it.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:57 AM

It is simply a Recommended Shop on Carnival that they have a marketing deal with. Not sure if NCL has the same deal and promotions.

I'll link this topic in the NCL section to help.

Dwayne
Old 05-11-2010, 07:22 AM

I don't think I remember a DI in any of the Alaska ports (probably because they are US ports). In any case I wouldn't waste my time with the charms. They are just a marketing gimmick to get you to go into a DI store and talk to a sales person... who of course puts the hard sell on you to buy some real jewelery. Sorry but I have better things to do with my time when in a port than to go to a jewelery store.

If the cruise lines were not getting significant kickbacks from these "preferred stores" they wouldn't push them onto everyone.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-11-2010, 07:27 AM

I heard that Royal Caribbean not only owns DI, but owns the diamond mines where they get the diamonds. I agree with Dave that I'm pretty sure their involvement is mostly rebates and marketing contracts.

Closed Thread

Tags
bu, carnival, charms, cruise, diamond, diamonds, free, international, kickback, line, norwegian, owned, owns, ports, talks