Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 03:22 PM

My husband and are planning a cruise through the Mexican Riviera within the next 4 months. I have researched available cruises on

Holland America
Princess
Royal Carrib.
Carnival

Many reviewers say Holland caters to the very elderly and carnival sounds like a cruise line for families mostly. My husband is 54 and I'm 37. Were far from old but don't have young kids and prefer a lower key atmosphere. We like fine dining & shopping and will likely be booking a suite and the anytime dining options. We will likely go into ports of call but are not likely to do excursions except maybe some scuba diving in Cabo or Puerta Villarta. I'm leaning towards Royal Carrib. at this point mostly because Princess only stays in Cabo San Lucas until 2pm as the final port of call and this is the port we are looking most forward to seeing. Please if anyone has cruised this area on more than one ship/cruise line give me your thoughts & feedback. I'm sorry for my cruise naiveness, lol this is the first real vacation weve been able to afford in 3 years since the recession has hit us hard here in California. I don't want to waste the opportunity on a bad or even mediocre experience. Hubby would've happily flown to Hawaii again but I convinced him to cruise!!
Thank you in advance
Old 08-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Welcome to Cruise Chat. Any of these cruise lines can be a good fit for you. Princess and Holland does have an older average age, but certain ships and certain itineraries can draw a different demographics. All four of them can draw families, Royal Caribbean and Carnival more so. There will be less children if you travel when the schools are in session. Cabo San Lucas was my favorite also. I think Royal Caribbean would be a good choice for you especially if it stays longer in Cabo.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

The Royal Caribbean cruise is also on the Mariner Of The Seas, which is a large ship with lots of things to offer. It is a beautiful ship. You also have the Chops and Portofino specialty restaurants which offer fine dining. There is also the Vintages wine bar. Mariner is one of my favorite ships.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:21 PM
You didn't mention if you are locked into a 7 day, but if you can stretch it to 9 days you might consider Carnival Spirit out of San Diego: they do an overnight in Cabo San Lucas which would give you plenty of time to enjoy the water sports; and Cabo is the best place for them.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:22 PM

Thank you so much for the quick replies! I've discovered NCL also does the Mexican Riviera...ughhh as though I needed any more choices lol! Dave, you say Mariner is one of your favorites, any particular reason(s) why? I thought it too looked beautiful from the pics I've seen, is it newer than other ships? I know you've cruise a lot so your opinion is much appreicated
Old 08-25-2010, 05:25 PM

We aren't locked into anything at this point and really it's just a matter of what we can afford vs. amount of time we have to spare. Were self employed so time off isn't a problem, but I do prefer nicer accomodations (despite the fact everyone says they don't spend much time in thier room) which has us looking at the 7 night cruises in Mexico. I love the idea of over night though in Cabo!! Thank you
Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 PM

We have been on the Carnival 7 day twice, and the 8 day twice. I think the extra day or two weeds our some of the real parting type, and also there are less kids on the longer cruise. At least that is the way it seemed to us. We are looking into a Hal 11 day in Feb 2011.
BTW all the above cruises are to Mexico.

We have been on HAL twice to Alaska. The Crowd did not seem overly aged. I would say both cruises were in the lower 50's. We were probably some of the oldest, late 50's
BTW Welcome to cruise Cat.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 PM

My wife and I are doing the Mexican Riviera Cruise in March on the Carnival Spirit. We have never been on that particular ship, but have sailed on Carnival several times. We have been on the Mariner and it is a great ship. We got a great price with Carnival, 9 day for about the same as a 7 day cruise. If you like "big" ships with lots of extras, Royal Caribbean would be the way to go. I have heard good things about the Spirit as well. You probably can't go wrong with either Carnival or Royal Caribbean. Have a great cruise.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Gary - - If you do the 11 day - we'll pass on debarking / embarking day!

Imateez - Good luck with whichever line and itinerary you choose - Mexico can be an easy relaxing trip.... we're doing the HAL 10 day Sea of Cortez and Mexican Riviera; have been to all but two of the ports before and are just looking to hang loose. We're partial to HAL - the experience tends to be a bit more laid back and seems to have more things inclusive (ie only one pay restaurant; no checking out of pool towels, things like that). We've seen families on HAL Mexican cruises, even during school time, although definitely not as many as RCCI or Carnival. We're in our mid 50's - early 60's ....
Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Hi Imateez,welcome to Cruise-Chat! You can't go wrong with any of the lines you have mentioned. I'm partial to Princess, but they're all good lines. I find on most of the Princess cruises I've been on the median age is around 40. They also seem to have fewer children. However, before everyone starts throwing things at me, all the cruise lines you mention are very good. Please let us know what you end up selecting

Tags
10, anymore, chats, cruise, day, hal, median, mexican, mexico, port, rccl, reviera, reviews, riveria, riviera, rivieria