Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

View Poll Results: We are cruising for the firs time in June on the Star Leo from Sydney to Fiji and other places in t
Sea Sickness 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2003, 03:08 AM

Old 04-25-2003, 03:08 AM

Old 04-25-2003, 05:06 AM

As much as i researched cruising prior to our first cruise, the status was saying that you don't need anything other than maybe a dramamine or two because of the size of the ship and the stabilizers {blah,blah,blah} Well, i packed lots of dramamine, and ended up running into a Doctor onboard our ship who happened to have some of those patches that you see everyone else wearing for sea-sickness....and I would definately recommend geting the RX for the patch and having it just in case! My family Doc even told me to just buy bonine, or dramamine because i guess some people have reactions to the patch. My suggestion would be if you are prone to motion sickness at all, then be prepared and bring the patch. As I had mentioned I was very fortunate to have happened to run into a Doctor onboard our cruise, otherwise I think i would have been spending alot of time in bed in the cabin. Better safe than sorry
Old 05-28-2003, 01:37 PM

Drugs cause side-effects. Patches also cause side-effects like dry-mouths. Ask your druggist for a "sea-band." This is a band with a glass marble that you place on both wrists. There's no side effects and it helps tremendously.

edylp
Old 05-28-2003, 03:02 PM

Sea-bands don't work for everybody (including me.) If you are traversing the Pacific, I'd recommend what your first respondent did - a prescription for the patch, plus some Bonine or non-drowsy-formula Dramamine (same drug) as a backup. This is especially true if you are susceptible to motion sickness on land. Sounds like a neat trip - have a great cruise!
Old 05-28-2003, 08:02 PM

After listening to the comments of numerous cruisers who have taken anti seasickness medications,and from personal experience while scuba diving off of small boats in rough seas, I feel that Bonine offers the best chance of preventing nausea while cruising.
Scopolamine patches will work most of the time, however they can cause a persistent state of thirst and/or drowsiness, especially soon after you put them on due to the rapid release of the drug in the innitial stages. Dramamine can cause the feeling of being 'hung over' and a constant feeling of being tired.
My suggestion is, for you to try Bonine and Dramamine before your trip and see how you react. Choose the one that suites you best. Happy cruising. Bobby
Old 05-29-2003, 08:43 PM

I would not use the patch. Not only can it cause the afore-mentioned minor side effects, it can create hallucinations, disorientation, and an inability to read or process information. Truly. You might not have these reactions, but I did, and I have heard of others reacting to it in the same way. Seabands do work for me, and bonine is supposed to be good also. Forget about the patch, or be forewarned!!

The drug used in the Patch is scopalomine - this used to be given to women about to deliver to mask the pain - it created a very surrealistic experience of childbirth, to say the least! PS - they don't use it anymore for this....
Old 06-10-2003, 05:10 PM

While I did not experience sea sickness on a recent cruise, my mom did. We had all the above mentioned items, which did help some. The sea bands can be purchased at Wal-Mart or at any drug store without any doctor's prescription/ these work on acupressure idea.

My doctor recommended cutting the patches in half and only usung one half at a time behind the ear, she believes they are too strong and do cause excessive drowsiness and some people experience other side effects. Half a patch minimizes these but still helps with the sea sickness.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:24 PM

I have always taken Ginger Root as a precaution towards sea sickness. I have never had a problem, but who knows if I really needed it!
Old 06-11-2003, 04:16 PM

Being one of those that would rather take a bullet than be seasick, I would suggest getting everything that has been mentioned in previous posts and try them in the following order: non-meds, over-the-counter meds, prescription meds. I say this because dancing naked in front of the entire cruise ship population would be fair payment to feel better.

The non-med things work for a lot of people but for the unfortunate green-hued, moving up to some chemicals can provide very welcome relief.

I like Bonine over Dramamine because you can find Bonine in a time-release formula (less chances to miss taking a dose). However, Bonine and Dramamine can really drain your wallet. I have been able to find the generic Meclizine HCL (the same chemical that's in Bonine) in great quantities (100 tablets) for less than you'd pay for 12-20 doses of Bonine.

I have to say, I have a love/hate relationship with the patch (transDerm Scop aka Scopolamine). On the plus side, you put it on and forget it (for consistent results, it should be changed every 3-4 days) and it works great (for me anyway). On the down side, I get very, very, thirsty (for the first couple of days), your eyes might get a little bloodshot, and those ignorant of the patch will think you belong to some religious sect (with all of the other folks with the "dots behind their ear"). A fair trade-off, in my opinion. Being a prescription med, you will need to get it from your doctor. Definitely, DO NOT TAKE THIS WITH ANY OTHER MEDICATION unless your doctor gives you express permission in triplicate! I have seen the results and they are as bad or worse than the sea sickness itself. I can't stress that enough.

And last, keep a positive outlook on things. Know that you won't get seasick and you probably won't. Along with the little helpers above, you're trip should be great.

Closed Thread

Tags
alf, doctors, dots, ears, front, recomend, sea, sickness, worse