Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2005, 08:02 AM

I declined insurance for my next cruise since we're leaving the day before. But i've been reading some bad expierances here, and am wondering if I made a mistake.

Is it possible to buy trip insurance after final payment has been made? If so any recommendations?

Flying to San Juan, PR out of Newark, NJ on 2/25 and sailing on constellation to s caribbean on 2/26.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:02 AM

I declined insurance for my next cruise since we're leaving the day before. But i've been reading some bad expierances here, and am wondering if I made a mistake.

Is it possible to buy trip insurance after final payment has been made? If so any recommendations?

Flying to San Juan, PR out of Newark, NJ on 2/25 and sailing on constellation to s caribbean on 2/26.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:24 PM

It's not possible to buy it from the cruise line after final payment. You may be able to get some form of insurance from a separate company. As your TA about it - or if you didn't use one, Tom has a good article on insurance on the main cruisereviews.com site - if you don't see the link, perhaps he can help direct you to where it is.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:01 PM

It is certainly not too late to buy trip insurance and I would definitely suggest you make the investment. As Karen states it is not possible to buy it through the cruise line, but it is usually recommended that you purchase this insurance through a third party protector anyway. After thorough research, Tom wrote an article for CruiseReviews that you might find helpful. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Insurance.htm)

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-23-2005, 08:51 AM

Nancy/Tom: I want to thank and commend you and others on this site, Portreviews, etc. for providing such valuable information to enhance the chances that travellers will have a great, non-eventful trip. Thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:38 PM

Well, I went ahead and bought a policy from Travel Guard. It was $53 pp. I hope I bought the right one. All the options were quite confusing. But, I feel better already..guess that what insurance is for.

Thanks for all the info everyone!!
Old 01-23-2005, 05:10 PM

Kandi, thanks for the kind words. The Internet is so wonderful, as it allows folks to resource information they really couldn't get any other way. Thanks for your participation.

Tom
Old 01-23-2005, 06:28 PM

Flying out the day prior is the way to go. Insurance is ok but read all the print.

As I posted yesterday, I missed the ship and didn't buy the insurance or get there the day prior. What a huge mistake. Funny thing is, Travelocity, Midwest and Princess all said the flight I booked the day of the cruise was fine. I booked it through Travelocity the same time I booked the cruise! No one said, go the day before. Once I seen that bad weather was in the forecast I tried to get out the day before and Midwest said they couldn't get me out and don't worry!!

I read through the insurance policy they offered at the time of booking and even if I would have purchased it I still would have lost $500. Getting there the day before seems to be the best option.

Does anyone know how I can get in contact with someone that has gone through my situation?

Thanks...
Old 01-24-2005, 03:41 PM

I just wanted to thank all of you for your helpful information. I see I'm not the only one second guessing my decision in declining my travel agent's cruise insurance. After this weekend of being snowbound to my house, 2 days of shoveling 36 inches of snow, I started to worry about my cruise on 2/6, Mariner of the Seas.
Thanks Tom for the great insurance agency referral, I just bought a policy and you're my TIG agent so thanks!
Now that the insurance is now settled, I have two other things to worry about. The first one being the norwalk virus which would really stink to catch on vacation. And the second, which may be much worse, is the possibility that I won't be able to see my lovable, humble New England Patriots beat the pants off the Eagles in the Super Bowl. I did some research and I didn't think it would be an issue before I booked, but after a couple of remarks from fellow cruise-chaters, they got me a little nervous.
Well, here's to hoping that the connection is fine and it will all be good. Thanks again to you all for your help!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:16 PM

Vacation Queen,
Last year I was sailing on Super Bowl Sunday and the cruise ship chose to forego the traditional Welcone Aboard show, in favor of a "Super Bowl party". It began with a pre-game celebration right after we set sail and the game was taped and televised for us in the main theater for the evening's entertainment(which was also aired on the TV in our staterooms). On a cruise the year before that, the Sports Bar covered the event from beginning to end on multiple screens. Hopefully, you will not be disappointed.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, cruise, didnt, final, insurance, made, payment, snow, travelocity