Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2005, 10:39 PM

Had a freind who took a first cruise and was so scared of getting sea-sick that she booked an insidecabin, mid-ship, mid-level...only to be told by her cabin steward that having a green apple each morning would cure her worries. IS THIS TRUE?

Edit: Moved to General Cruise Chat. RF
Crown Princess April/07 - Fun In The Sun in Eastern Caribbean
RCI Brilliance Of The Seas March/08 - Here We Go Again
RCI Vision Of The Seas Dec/08 - Joining Sis On Her Redneck Honeymoon in Mexico
Old 11-06-2005, 11:22 PM

I never heard that one. I know ginger works, and there are prescription drugs that people use. And because of the pectin in apples (as in Kaopectate), they are supposed to be good for the runs, but I haven't heard of it as a sea sickness remedy or preventative.

Sandy
Old 11-07-2005, 08:19 AM

Never heard of the "apple a day" for sea sickness. I would recommend an over the counter med. for your friend. Be sure and take it well before leaving the dock. It's too late when you start feeling bad. Having said all that your friend check with their Doc and get stronger med if needed. Good Luck

Caseyg

Caseyg
Old 11-07-2005, 04:57 PM

I don't understand something: You had a friend who told you this story. You didn't ask her if it worked for her? I would think that the answer would have come right along with the rest of her story.

All of that apple stuff aside, some people are unprepared on their first trip and get very, very seasick---so much so that it ruins their cruise. For those people, no apple or ginger or wristband or dramamine or inside, midship cabin is going to do it, especially if rough seas are encountered. Most seasick-prone people have a clue because they experience motion sickness in cars, amusement rides, small boats, etc. These people should get a prescription for Transderm Scop, a patch/drug that alleviates seasickness. It is a powerful drug and has some minor side effects for some people. One should get a prescription for this well in advance of the cruise so there is time to try it at home to experience how well it is tolerated.

One can spend a great deal of money on one's first cruise vacation---some thoughtful consideration should be given to the issue of seasickness.

Lana
Old 11-10-2005, 09:05 AM

OK - I think I can offer some insight on to this one. My family took our first cruise just this past August out of Philadelphia heading toward Canada. As luck would have it, Hurricane Irene was sitting off the coast around North Carolina. It had enough of an impact that we had pretty choppy Seas the first full day onboard - which was a full-day at sea. Not Good

Anyway, at breakfast that morning my 8 year-old daughter and I were having some difficulty. She ended up leaving the table briefly with my wife because she thought she would be sick.

She didn't - but she also did not want to eat. So I started to take her back to the cabin. The waiter stopped to ask if everything was OK. When I mentioned our issue - he said the Doctor recommended Green Apples. Later that day I was at the Guest Relations desk and they were telling people the same thing.

Long story short - I got my daughter and apple and some dramamine I had carried onboard, and two hours later she was having a blast on the pool deck. So, you decide which you think worked best.

As for me, neither really made my head feel better. The only thing that seemed to help was when we dropped anchor off of Martha's Vineyard the next day. But each day after that, before we set sail again, I would pop a Dramamine and had no further problems. The key with the Dramamine is, you must take it about 1 Hour BEFORE the anticipated motion.

So maybe the Green Apple really did help my daughter.

If nothing else, you can at least say you had a good food choice item on a cruise. When is the last time you heard someone get off a cruise and complain that they ate too many fruits

Enchantment - August 2005

Closed Thread

Tags
apple, cruise, cure, cureapples, day, green, legs, motion, pectin, remedy, reviews, sea, seasickness, ship, sickness, year