Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 03:26 PM

I know this question has been asked time and time again, but I want to be certain on some things. I was talking to an 5 time cruiser and she said that the bands are good to get so that with the dramamine you will not have to pop pills everyday and it makes you dizzy. Will the bands be better to get for me or my kids if we need them 10 and 16. I am hoping and thiniking that we will be okay but just in case should I just go with the band, and also will we be able to put the bands on once we realized we will not be feeling well and will the effets ease the sickness once we put them on. We are cruising in August and hoping we have smooth sailing, but one is to never know. This is out first cruise and do not want it to be ruined with motion sickness. Can someone answer some of my questions I am asking. PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!

Edit: Moved to General Cruise Chat. RF

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-21-2006, 03:26 PM

I know this question has been asked time and time again, but I want to be certain on some things. I was talking to an 5 time cruiser and she said that the bands are good to get so that with the dramamine you will not have to pop pills everyday and it makes you dizzy. Will the bands be better to get for me or my kids if we need them 10 and 16. I am hoping and thiniking that we will be okay but just in case should I just go with the band, and also will we be able to put the bands on once we realized we will not be feeling well and will the effets ease the sickness once we put them on. We are cruising in August and hoping we have smooth sailing, but one is to never know. This is out first cruise and do not want it to be ruined with motion sickness. Can someone answer some of my questions I am asking. PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!

Edit: Moved to General Cruise Chat. RF

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-22-2006, 07:32 AM

Try ginger I purchased it for my wife and read it is excellent cure for motion sickness. Look up (sailors secrets) on the internet. By the way we are sailing this Sat. so we'll be putting it to the test. Happy Sailing
Old 03-22-2006, 02:22 PM

Although I've never been sea-sick, the patches are pretty good and ginger is supposed to be the natural cure. If worse comes to worse, they can give you a shot on board. The way the ships are now, even in some of the roughest seas (not in a hurricane), it's no worse that a kiddie ride in an amusement park. Another tip, go outside, mid-ship, and try to focus on something stationary (like the seam in the side of the ship). If you don't have car sickness or get sick on moderate rides, you should have no problems. I've heard mixed reviews on the bands, but everyone I've talked to said the patches worked. Have a wonderful cruise and here's to no rough seas!!
Old 03-24-2006, 10:18 AM

I suffer from terrible motion sickness and was really concerned before my first cruise, which was just last week.

I got a prescription for the patch from my doctor. It did work well for me, but there are many potential side-effects and I don't believe they will give it to children. I wouldn't consider the patch unless you know you are prone to seasickness.

Ginger is an excellent recommendation. My niece, who had horrible side effects from the patch, chewed ginger candies and took ginger tablets and felt fine. One day on our cruise I did feel weazy, so I chewed a ginger candy and felt just fine in about 20 minutes. You can buy ginger tablets and ginger candy at a health food store before you leave home.

Something else to try is Bonine, or less-drowsy Dramamine (they are the same thing). This makes me quite drowsy, which is why I went with the patch. Some people say it doesn't make them drowsy at all. Many people suggest taking just one Bonine before bed each night while you are on board. That way you sleep off the worst of the drowsiness.

I have used seabands before when we go to Disney, and I don't know if they make much difference. They are easy to put on, but I don't know how long they take to kick-in if you are feeling ill.

We had exceedingly smooth seas, and except for that one short time, I did not feel sick. However, I did feel the ship moving, especially when we were in the theatres at the front or back of the ship (motion is more noticeable there). As someone else said, midship is better. Our cabin was on deck 8, just past the bump.

Most people don't get sick, so just take a couple of precautions and go with the intent of having a great time!

Caribbean Hotel Reviews
Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 PM

I did my first cruise last August. The 1st full day we were at sea we had very choppy seas as a hurricane was a couple hundred miles behind us, and there was a Nor-easter type storm ahead of us.

Anyway, I was feeling pretty bad that morning and immediately put on the bands - no good at all.

My daughter was also having issues and the waiter recommended a Green Apple. Seemed to work for her as she was up and running about 3o minutes later.

For me, I popped the Dramamine after that. The key is, they recommend you take them 30 minutes "before" the anticipated motion. It was probably the calmer seas the rest of the trip, but I never had any more trouble when I follwed the directions on the bottle.

Enchantment - August 2005
Old 03-25-2006, 06:49 AM

If you are worried about getting seasick the only other advice I have for you is to be careful where you book your cabin. My mother is gets sea sick and the worst trip we had was when we booked a cabin in the front of the ship. (seven cruises and I still can't give you the nautical term for front of ship) You can feel the ship's movement more towards the front and back of the ship than you can in the center of the ship. Just like some of the other comments, the bands alone never worked for my mother and taking the Bonine half an hour before setting sail made her drowsy. She never had a problem with motion sickness once she started taking the medicine before bed every night. But, the bands were a psychological help for her during the day. Hope you have a great trip.
Val
Old 03-29-2006, 11:48 AM

I have read more and more about the effects of ginger..all natural and no side effects. I plan on purchasing some this weekend at our GNC or similar store. I hope they are not sold out, as they wrote an big article in last Sunday's newspaper of the great news of Ginger! It has good things about it, so I am bringing some with me on 5/1/06 on Ecstacy! Good luck!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:31 PM

Hi,
it is so : nearly every cruise i became seasick. In the past. Nowadays I take a scopoderm plaster back of the ear. That is the solution. No more seasickness.....It is manufactored in Los Angeles, and you can buy it in good old europe in the pharmacy. But you need a prescription from a doctor.
Uwe
Old 03-29-2006, 07:45 PM

Nita, I believe you are going on a carnival ship yes???
once you are onboard if you decide to go with either the patches, bands or tablets and you run out then there are free of charge sea-sickness tablets available from the infirmary which is on deck 3. The ships do not have/sell the patches or band sbut the tablets are available and free if you run out.

Closed Thread

Tags
children, comments, cruise, cruising, cure, dont, give, location, motion, sea, seasickness, ship, sickness, worried, worst