Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2003, 12:54 PM

Hi,

I was curious to find out what monetary amounts are appropriate for tipping the staff (stewards, waiters, etc.) onboard ship. Is there a standard amount from which you can either decrease or increase according to quality of service? I've cruised on HAL in the past and their policy or, should I say, nonpolicy of tipping has always confused me. I enjoy giving tips for good service and I'm thinking of following Tom and Mary Milano's advice about pre-tipping.

Thanks!

Alaskawiner
Old 12-11-2003, 12:54 PM

Hi,

I was curious to find out what monetary amounts are appropriate for tipping the staff (stewards, waiters, etc.) onboard ship. Is there a standard amount from which you can either decrease or increase according to quality of service? I've cruised on HAL in the past and their policy or, should I say, nonpolicy of tipping has always confused me. I enjoy giving tips for good service and I'm thinking of following Tom and Mary Milano's advice about pre-tipping.

Thanks!

Alaskawiner
Old 12-12-2003, 07:56 AM

The suggested tipping amounts for whatever cruise line you are on are in the documents and the brochures. The amounts may vary a little but they are in the region of $3.50 a day per person for the waiter and room steward. The assitant waiter or bus person would be in the area of $1.75 a day per person. The head waiters will have a small tip suggestion listed as well as the Maitre D. These amounts are usually much smaller than everyone else due to the fact they get a bigger salary.

You can change these amounts up or down as you wish they are only suggested. If you are on a cruise line that has automatic tipping you can change these amounts at the pursers desk or eliminate them and give cash as you wish.

I know Tom and Mary suggest pre-tipping and I know of many others who do this. Where I live this is not common and I have never done it myself and I always have had great service on a cruise. It is only my opinion but I feel someone must earn their tip first before I decide what they will get. As I said this is my opinion so if you feel you need to tip in advance feel free to do so.

Closed Thread

Tags
amounts, tipping