Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2006, 03:51 PM

does anyone know if you can sign on to yahoo messenger on the cruise ship, this is how i am thinking about communicating with my family while gone, i am not sure if it would be installed on the cruise ships computers..
thanks
Old 06-25-2006, 06:41 PM

I do know you can use Yahoo and MSN for email but I don't think messenger can be used. If you could use it, it would be kind of expensive at 50 cents a minute.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:52 AM

I agree with SonnyV. You can use Yahoo on the ship for e-mail, etc, but also keep in mind that the ship receives it's internet service via satellite. Which can, at times, be quite slower than what you might be used to. So if its overcast, expect to have the "instant" part of IM taken from you.

And to his point, at $.50/minute, I'd just e-mail and check back later. You'll be amazed how those charges add up.

Take care,

Billy
Old 06-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Forget about IM. If you need to keep in touch with home, e-mail is the way to go. The internet charges can really add up. You'll use a couple of minutes just getting to a home page if you have one. Internet on ships is not especially quick - usually a couple times faster than a modem connection but not much more than that. And the meter is ticking away all the time.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:15 AM

if you really want to use an IM while on the ship, i would suggest signing up for (and telling family members/friends) a free AOL account. they have an IM that you can use right from their website. you don't have to download or install anything
Old 07-09-2006, 01:39 PM

RE: AOL...I have had problems accessing AOL from RC, Princess and Radisson (Regent). On a Regent Cruise, one of the officers told me that they have more problems with AOL at sea than any othe connection. He suggested that next time I sail I establish a Hotmail account and use it. I haven't tried it yet...but the person who told me was the Communications Director (electronic) for the ship. I hope this is helpful.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, carnivl, celebrity, cruise, cruisel, cruises, messenger, ship, yahoo