Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 09:38 AM

I received the email offer today...Purchase a cruise on any cruiseline and receive a free trip to...(several destinations were named).

Has anyone ever booked a promotion like this before when it was offered? If so, how ligit was it and the listed destinations for the free vacation, were they run-of-the-mill?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Christy
Old 07-16-2008, 09:38 AM

I received the email offer today...Purchase a cruise on any cruiseline and receive a free trip to...(several destinations were named).

Has anyone ever booked a promotion like this before when it was offered? If so, how ligit was it and the listed destinations for the free vacation, were they run-of-the-mill?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Christy
Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Is it from a reputable firm?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:31 PM

The first thing that should set an alarm off is when you receive something you didn't ask for. If you receive an email, phone call, or mail saying Congratulations you've won....The first question you should ask is where did they get your name and information from? Did you actually enter a contest for that company. These type of offers are always gimicks. They aren't going to give something away for nothing. The catch usually involves a Time share sales pitch which you will have to spend your vacation time listening to. They will involve lots of extra add on cost of taxes, fees, etc. They will push paying for upgrades because what ever they are pushing won't be available on the date you want, but for $xxx dollars you could have a different one.

Don't give any of these type of offers the time of day.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 PM

I received this offer too. I just went in my trash folder to read the light gray fine print. I can only say, I am still recovering from my eyes being glazed over. I didn't see any reference to a time share pitch. My alarm went off with the "other terms and conditions may apply" though. I am so fed up with this. The previous program was great, and actually offered a free 3 day cruise for 10,000 points. When they converted the points to Seamiles it changed.

I have over 15,000 points, and have yet to find a way to use them. You have to book through their "cruise consultants" for only the offers they present. The past guest rates are always better than their rates with using the miles!

As soon as I have my account paid off, I am done with it. Sorry for the rant.

Dwayne
Old 07-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Banned

Seamiles is run by ICE.

These are the same folks that owned and operated the now infamous CVC.

I have had a Carnival Credit Card from day one and it USED TO BE very good. Sadly, due to having to deal with ICE our Sea Miles card is cut up.

I have not found ICE to be reputable and would not do business with them again.

But that is just based on personal experience.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

We now wait for the ICE defenders to arrive on the scene and extol the virtues of that outfit.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:44 PM

I had a bad experience with ICE back before they became involved with Seamiles. They have some deceptive sales techniques.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:05 PM

I'm in total agreement with Cruise Fanatic on this one. Never open unsolicited email. Just opening it sends a notice to the sender that the email has been opened. This is the surest way to be bombarded with spam. If they identify that the email address is active you'll get plenty more offers. Everything from free cruises to free money from a bank account in Nigeria from someone in the royal family wanting you to accept thier money, just provide your bank account info. If you respond to these type of scams, you'll at some point be asked for bank or credit card info, you know, to set up your onboard account of course. Once they have your info, look out. You're in for an empty account and a lifetime of problems. Delete, delete, delete. If it comes by snail mail throw it away or burn it. Don't apply for a free gym membership or big screen TV to be given away at your local restaurant. Please protect your information, your identity and forget about free things in life. They simply come at too high a price.

One more that is rampant. If you get an email from your bank, don't open it. Your bank does not contact you by email for updates on your account info. It may have a link to a website that looks just like your banks actual website. They mirror the site they are posing as, they look the same, have the same links in the same places, etc. This type of scam has bitten many thousands of people. If in doubt, before you open it, call your bank and ask if they sent you the email. Don't open it!

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-18-2008, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the great advice Neil.

I agree about not opening unsolicited emails and offers. Seamiles has my email because I have the notice turned on for statement notices in case I lose one in the mail. I know who Seamiles is, because I pay the bill every month.

LHP, I had the original Carnival Card too. When they changed banks and the program details, it went south for me. I had almost enough points for the free 3 day, and then they were converted to worthless discounts.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
email, price, seamiles, vacations