Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator

I don't know if the Conquest even has tables for two. The worst case is to be seated at a table for four and not hitting it off with the other two people. It is best to be at a large table with 6 or 8 seats or more. Then the odds are better that you will have at least some other people that are compatible, even if a couple of duds are seated with you. Don't sit and take it if you don't like your table mates. The maitre'd will move you. Actually it isn't uncommon these days for some guests to not show up in the dining room. Many prefer to eat at the buffet for dinner.

Jim makes a good point about keeping your wait staff informed. We usually take a break from the dining room at least once on a cruise and I always let the waiter know ahead of time. I don't want to screw up his/her routine by waiting for me to show up when I won't be there.

And as noted, breakfast and lunch in the dining room are open seating. Do try breakfast and lunch in the dining room. It is quiet and relaxing as opposed to the sometimes hectic buffet restaurant. And if you order the eggs benedict and want two eggs, let them know. On more than one Carnival cruise my wife has ordered eggs benedict and only got one portion.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:06 PM

Ok thanks for all of your reply's i'm just going to go and have a great time and not let anyone get me down even if we do have as dave put it "duds" at the table. Also what is the dress code for the dinning room?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Administrator

On a 7-day cruise you will have two formal nights and five casual nights. Formal doesn't mean tux and gown required. Cocktail dresses and suits are what my wife and I wear and this seems to be in the majority from what I have noticed. Casual nights are just that - except that no shorts or t-shirts are allowed to be worn for dinner service. They also mention blue jeans but I've worn them with no problem. Shorts and t-shirts are perfectly fine for breakfast and lunch service.

Read your Carnival Capers carefully. This is the "program" for each day of the cruise. The next day's capers is delivered to your cabin each evening when your attendant sets the cabin up for bed time. It lists all the activities, important info, times for things, etc. Get extra copies at the guest relations desk so you each have one (and a clean one for a souvenir!).
Old 08-15-2006, 01:31 PM

So what does my wife need to wear on the casual nights cuz she always wears like shorts and tanky thing?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Well, shorts and tanky things are not allowed. Some sort of dress, skirt, pants, and a shirt or blouse. I usually wear a golf shirt and dockers on the casual nights.

The dining room staff isn't too picky about what the guests wear on casual nights. They just draw the line at shorts and t-shirts (and tank tops).
Old 08-15-2006, 02:57 PM

The Conquest sails from Texas and that means jeans are exceptable as casual wear (and as formal wear if they are part of a formal "cowboy" attire). For the wife, she can wear a short skirt and a blouse (tanky thang probably not good enough) or a collared polo type shirt. Pants are ok for her too.

The dress code is more relaxed on the Conquest. They do request "no jeans" at the begining of the cruise but as long as they are good jeans, I have not seen anyone turned away.

And Dave, the Conquest does have tables for 2 (I'm fairly certain of this.. my memory may be remembering the Spirit though). But, I agree with Dave in that you ideally would like to be seated at one of the tables for 6. That way you have better odds of sitting with someone you get along with.

Since its your belated Honeymoon.. go ahead and tell them so. They will make anouncements etc.. and won't care if its late or not.. YES it still counts. But by all means try the supper club one night (one of the non formal nights.) It makes a great romantic dinner.

have fun!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator

One more thing! Don't be late for dinner. When they say your seating is at 6pm (or 8pm, or whatever) they mean you need to be there within a few minutes of that time. I'd say within 5 minutes or so. On our last cruise we had a couple who routinely strolled into the dining room 15 minutes or more late. This is disrespectful to the others at the table and it also screws up the routine for the table staff. They need to get the orders turned in to the galley and it can cause problems when the passengers don't do their part to make things flow smoothly.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:08 PM

ummm jim when you say good jeans what do you mean by that, The jeans i wear cost $110 but they look like they just got ran over. its the style these days but i'm not sure if they will let me on with that will they.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave56:
One more thing! Don't be late for dinner. When they say your seating is at 6pm (or 8pm, or whatever) they mean you need to be there within a few minutes of that time. I'd say within 5 minutes or so. On our last cruise we had a couple who routinely strolled into the dining room 15 minutes or more late. This is disrespectful to the others at the table and it also screws up the routine for the table staff. They need to get the orders turned in to the galley and it can cause problems when the passengers don't do their part to make things flow smoothly.
Don't have to worrie about that i'm always ontime or early i guess thats the way i grew up.

Also sorry for double post.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Administrator

I'd say that "good jeans" means those which are not overly faded, frayed, have holes, etc. Even if they came that way. We are talking about plain vanilla Levi's or Wrangler's.....things along those lines.

Closed Thread

Tags
board, bully, cruise, del, eat, scared