Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by KRoyal:

Don't have to worrie about that i'm always ontime or early i guess thats the way i grew up.
Many people show up a little early. The doors may be closed to the dining room and a small crowd will be outside the doors. They have always promptly opened the doors at the designated time and then it's time to slop the hogs! Don't get run over!
Old 08-15-2006, 02:33 PM

KRoyal: Yeah, don't forget to tell them that it's your honeymoon. You might get special favours. Maybe call the cruise line before to order flowers in your room, champagne? for a nice surprise.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:37 PM

Yes, good jeans means cowboy formal - Wrangler or Levis 'standard' jeans. not the faded pre holed jeans that are the fad.

We are transplanted northerners in Texas. My wife is a school teacher and when she first started teaching down her they had a "dress for success" day. She gave a student a failing grade for wearing his "good jeans", dress cowboy boots, silver buckle, dance shirt and cowboy hat. She later had to change the grade when the principal told her that was acceptable dress for sucess clothes for Ranchers/cowboys.

I do what Dave does. I where the dockers and a polo or Hawain Shirt. Its not like you have to go very far to go change back into shorts after dinner if you feel the need.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-15-2006, 02:38 PM

But i don't own jeans like that all mine are with a fade wash and frayed ends and some holes so do i have to wear slacks every night cuz i'm not buying new jeans to wear just for that time cuz id' never wear them again. I also don't wear kaki's I look weird in brown and tan. I wear a suit and tie to work everyday but on the weekends i wear jeans and button up shirts thats all i own. what should i do?

I'M NOT A COWBOY JUST BECUASE I'M FROM TEXAS.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Not much more to say about the pants. If you have several suits, I suggest bringing those pants along and using them with a shirt on the casual nights. You may be able to get by with some of your holey jeans if the shirts are neatly worn. Show up with the crowd at opening time.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:36 PM

I bought 2 pair of casual slacks a couple of cruises back. I bring those and some casual shirts and they last the whole cruise.

I wouldn't buy jeans just to wear them for casual night. The cruise line would rather you didn't where them in the dinning room (note that you can wear them everywhere else, holes or not.. knock yourself out) The Conquest "bends" the rule to accomodate Texans. If you have suit pants, do like Dave says and bring a couple of pairs of those and shirts and skip the suit coat and you'll blend fine. If you don't like the idea of having to wear "work clothes" on vacation go invest in some casual slacks that you look good in and bring those.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-15-2006, 10:40 PM
KRoyal:

Just remember one important thing. With regard to the events onboard and the tenders: they run on "Ship Time". Most likely the "Ship Time" will be the same time it is in the home port (Galveston?). In that case, Central Standard Time. Just in case, there should be a clock somewhere around the front desk (A.K.A. Purser's Desk, A.k.a. Information Desk). So don't be afraid to go to that desk and ask them what the "Ship's Time" is. Then set your watch to that time (if neccessary).

So you don't miss the last Tender ride to the cruise ship. When your cruise ship is in port they will anounce (for example) "The Last Tender is at 5PM Ship Time!".
Anyway, as you know, the Tender is a smaller boat that pulls-up alongside your cruise ship, while your cruiseship is anchored off shore. You board it and when the tender is full (or full enough to the crew's satisfaction)the tender will leave and take you ashore. The tender will dock at a smaller dock (too small for the cruise ship) and drop you off there.
Anyway, when they say the last tender is at 5PM (for example), you need to be back at that same dock you were droped-off at, no later than 5PM.
They should have a a big sign infront of your tender with the name of your cruise ship. That way you won't go on another cruise ship's tender.
Anyway, in my situation, when I was in Grand Cayman, the last tender time was 4PM. I decided to return to the tender dock at 3:45 to play it safe. The line of people waiting stretched hundreds of feet long. I thought, there is no way I am going to get on the tender before 4PM. Then I was reassured by others. They said, as along as you are waiting at the dock before 4, you will get on a tender and be returned to your cruise ship. So I didn't need to worry.

If there is a large enough dock to accomodate your cruise ship, they will dock it there. Then it will be even easier. You will then use your own two feet to get on and off the ship, via a gangway (ramp) connected to the ship. They will give you an "All aboard time" instead of a "Last tender time". So if the "all aboard time" is at 5PM (for example). That means you have to be inside onboard the ship before 5PM.

Just don't forget to bring with you your Sail and Sign card (used to unlock your door and pay for everything while onboard) as well as a picture ID (usually your state Driver's License is good enough) whenever you leave your cruise ship (The Conquest, right?). The Conquest security crew only needs your Sail and Sign card. However, the port security might need both your S&S card and a photo ID.

When you return to the cruise ship (each and every time) you will undergo airport-style security screening (with a walk through metal detector and X-ray machine for your bags). The same is true when you board the Conquest for the first time in Galveston. So, just make sure you don't purchase any weapon or any sharp and/or dangerous object while in port, for obvious reasons. At this security screening checkpoint they will take any liquor that you purchased while in port and give it back to you on the last day, as you are leaving the ship in Galveston. The same is true for any liquor you purchase onboard, too.

So anyway, I hope this was some help to you. I hope you have a good time on your cruise.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:14 PM
KRoyal:

Just one more thing (like Columbo would say)....

During your cruise, make sure to read the daily cruise newsletter well. It is called "Carnival Capers". Your cabin stewards will have the latest copy (usually for the next day) waiting for you in your cabin. Usually it will be close to the animal towel creations they will make for you and leave on your bed. Additional copies of the Cruise Capers will usually be available at or near the Information Desk.

Make sure to read the "Carnival Capers" well. It will have a complete listing of the scheduled events that will occur on the cruise. It may also have the "Last Tender" and/or the "All aboard" times listed.

So, by visiting this website already and by reading the "Carnival Capers" during your cruise, you should be thoroughly informed. If not, don't be afraid to go to the Information Desk and ask questions there.

So, as I said, I hope this can help. Have a good time on your cruise.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Here I go again....

I forgot to mention that usually there are two or more tenders serving your cruise ship.

They will run continously, back and forth, between the cruise ship and dock. They will run from the time they get the go-ahead (shortly after the Conquest drops anchor) until the "Last Tender time". And sometimes after, as was the case during my cruise in Grand Cayman. So, if you had enough of your port and want to get back to the ship long before "last tender time", there will probably be a tender waiting for you at the dock, so you can do so.

So take care and have a good time on your cruise.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:58 PM
One more time.....AGAIN!......

I was reading up on all the replies to this post. It seems you are worried about what to wear to dinner. Asking if jeans are exceptable or not. If you really are worried about what to wear to dinner. You can skip the dinning room and go to the top of the ship on the pool deck. They do have a casual dinning cafeteria up there. You can go up there (faded-jeans and all) and eat in the cafeteria. They do have good things to eat up there too. And they don't have a dress code. You can dress anyway you want up there. All except for swimsuits (especially wet swimsuits).

Also, to Dave56, I am sorry I did notice your reply telling KRoyal to read up on the Carnival Capers. If I saw it first, I would not have gone through the trouble of writing a reply, also telling him to read up on the Carnival Capers.

Closed Thread

Tags
board, bully, cruise, del, eat, scared