Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2006, 09:05 AM

Guys i'm so scared i only have 4 days left until our cruise and i don't know what to do. I don't know if i packed everything that i need i don't kow what to do what not to do on the ship, don't fully understand the eating arrangements, don't understand the tender thing, don't fully understand anything. ahahh maybe i'm just nervous our something don't know ahah don't know that either. anyway could some of you settle me down and tell me its gonna be alright and i'm not going to get left in jamaca or mexico.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Okay - you need to settle down, it's going to be all right, and you won't get left in Jamaica or Mexico (if you pay attention to the time, that is).

Seriously - most people pack way more than they need, especially those going on their first cruise.

As for eating and tendering, it isn't that big of a deal. Which cruise are you going on? Let us know and we can give you some specific coaching on these items.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:26 AM

KRoyal,
If you forget something, you probably didn't need it anyway! Remember, travel in general and cruising in particular is an ADVENTURE so just go with the flow and enjoy yourself! As far as the "eating arrangement" and "tender thing", just ask your cabin steward. They are there to help and are more than willing to help.

Bon Voyage

Old 08-15-2006, 09:45 AM

First thing.. take a nice deep soothing breath.

Then relax. You'll be fine.. EVERYTHING will be explained to you. You are not the first new cruiser the ship has seen. You already know more than most new cruisers because you have been reading things on this site.

If you didn't pack something you NEED, you can get it on the ship or in the first port. As long as you have any medication and your money, tickets and credit cards.. everything else can be had on the ship. Some people pack a pair of shorts and a T-shirt and by changes of clothes as they go from port to port... ChucksOK has it.. your cabin steward can answer many of your questions. On your first day, before the lifeboat drill and after you visit your cabin, head to the dinning room, show the head waiter (used head waiter because I don't know how to spell "ma'tradi materde?? oh forget it.) your sign and sail card and he can show you your table and tell you when to show up to dinner.

HAVE FUN!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Here in Alabama we call him the "mater dee"!

Actually it is maitre'd, which is short for maitre'd hotel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%C3%AEtre_d'h%C3%B4tel
Old 08-15-2006, 10:23 AM

I'm a first time cruiser also.. We are going in March 2007. I am just as nervous as you. I"m petrified we will get left somewhere on an excursion... I am scared to get off the ship to, but my husband wants to do things.. How can i get over my fear.?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:28 AM

Perhaps your fear is uncontained exitement. You need to pack what you would for any other vacation, I'm sure. You may want to cut down on your caffine, that might help. Try not to worry, it is customary to get a bit nervous, especially the first cruise so don't feel alone. Tenders are easy, not to worry there. You're going to have the time of your life. You'll find your dinner to be a breeze too, all you have to know is when to be there and where the dinning room is and pay attention to dress code. You're ship should have a daily schedule of on board activities for you in your room every day.

You won't be left behind in port if you know what time to be back on the ship. If you are afraid you're going to miss it, be back 2 hours early, that's what I do. If you're on your cruise line's offered excursions, the ship will wait if you're late. Worst case, you'll have to get on a short plane ride to your next stop. People do it all the time, don't worry! Have fun! You never responded with where you were going, what cruise line/boat?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:21 AM

Sorry didn't respond sooner i've been working. and thanks for all of your responses.my wife and I cruising out of Galveston on carnival conquest 20th-27th. are you assigned seats for the whole cruise. if so are their other people at the table, how big are the tables, what if i get sat with rude people? as for the tendering i think i can handle but my wife and I are really polite well mannered people and don't want to get set with anyone rude or impolite people.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:39 AM

yes, your table is assigned and you will sit there the entire cruise for dinner. If you eat breakfast or lunch in the dinning room, the seating is first come first serve as they fill up tables.. so there you meet new people all the time.

You can ask the mater dee (thanks Dave to move you if you really don't get along with your table mates. And unless you specifically asked for a table for two, you will probably be seated with others. On the cruises we have been on, we have never had bad table companions and that is part of the fun- meeting people.

Again, meeting people is fun, but you can also ask for that table for two if you want. Most of those are given to honeymooners, but if you ask, you might get it.

And you don't have to eat in the dinning room every night. Its "extra $" but try the supper club resturant. The food is unbeleivable and I bet you will never get a dinner out like that for $30 anywhere else! But, if you do decide to try another resturant, tell your wait staff the day before if you can not to wait for you to arrive.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-15-2006, 11:47 AM

Well this is actually our hooneymoon we got married on may 28th of this year but had to wait a couple of months for our trip to come up. so does that still count.

Closed Thread

Tags
board, bully, cruise, del, eat, scared