Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2006, 04:06 AM
Banned

I am thinking of doing an Alaska cruise out of Seattle in September. It is a 7 nighter on Vison (RCI). Has anyone ever taken an Alaskan cruise and how fun do you think it would be for a mid 20's couple? I am worried that it will be cold, with a lot of old people. Also, I am worried about too much "sightseeing" and not enough relaxation. I like days at sea the most and this cruise only has one full day at sea. Can someone tell me about an Alaskan cruise and tell me what you think.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Alaskan cruises are port intensive. September is also the end of the cruise season "up there" and with schools back in session the demographics will most likely lean towards an older crowd. This website is very good for showing you the average temperatures for Alaska.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi raffles,
I think you just talked yourself out of an Alaskan cruise, because everything you are concerned about is pretty much the way it is; especially, as Dave points out, in September. I can think of a lot of words to describe an Alaskan cruise, but "fun" is not one of them.
If you like days at sea have you considered a cruise to Hawaii round trip from L.A. or San Diego? Four days over--five days back--five ports on four islands.
Or if you don't have that much time, and since you are in Oregon, Princess has a 9 day in September, Vancouver, B.C. to Hawaii.
Just a thought.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:43 PM

Greetings from Eugene. My first cruise to Alaska was on a almost new Diamond Princess 7-day in August out of Seattle a couple years ago.

I will compare that ship to most of Carnivals. (all carnival cruises have been in Jan-March)

Overall Carnival has a more party atmosphere and a bit younger demographic. It may be cold, but that time of year is probably the best time to avoid cold weather. There will probably be more old people on the Alaska than Carnival. As said above if you dont want sightseeing, try Hawaii or crossing the Atlantic. No one will force you to sight-see. You can just stay on the ship in port, eat and relax and be away from crowds.

There will be other mid 20s couples but not as many mid 20s couples as on a Carnival cruise.

Also the tours are completely different. Going to Alaska you can find expensive hellicopter tours that will fly you to a glacier. There are many fishing/boating packages. If you want to stay cheap you can do a bike n brew (bike to a glacier and then to Alaska Brewery and drink), take the Skagway Train into Canada, or watch the logging competition in Ketchkan. Of course the chance of rain always dampers these activites.

In the south on Carnival the weather is more predictable. Also you can swim, scuba, sail, be a beach bum, etc.

But dont get too bent as any cruise ship to Alaska should have a Top-40 club with plenty of people in your age bracket.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:26 AM

Raffles, don't talk yourself out of your Alaskan cruise. I practically had to beg my husband to go, and even after nearly two years, he's still talking about it, and recommending it to everyone. My boys are in their early to mid twenty's and they absolutely loved it. We were on the Radiance out of Vancouver. We decided to fly in to Seattle and drove to Vancouver. We did the helicopter/trek on the glacier, horseback riding in the Yukon and our boys (men) had blast. We also loved the self-adjusting pool tables on Radiance. Another thing about the crowd that I wanted to mention was that it was half and half. Many were in the late to mid thirties. The rest were like us, late 40s and early 50s, but I donít go on a cruise for the crowd. Iíve been on Carnival, and hate the atmosphere. But we enjoyed seeing the beauty of Alaska. If youíre looking to just party, I would not recommend it. But if you want to have a wonderful experience, with beauty, history, and adventure, Alaska is it. It was for us, a wonderful experience, and we hope to go back.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Good points being made by all. You can't apply Caribbean cruise attributes to an Alaskan cruise - they are two very different things. Alaska cruises are obviously much more expensive. But you just aren't going to get many opportunities in life to see glaciers (or land on one), pan for gold, etc.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Good points being made by all. You can't apply Caribbean cruise attributes to an Alaskan cruise - they are two very different things. Alaska cruises are obviously much more expensive. But you just aren't going to get many opportunities in life to see glaciers (or land on one), pan for gold, etc.
Dave, Merry Christmas. Its funny, the alskan cruise i am thinking of doing is actually 300 dollars less than the caribbean one I am thinking of.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by joarc:
Raffles, don't talk yourself out of your Alaskan cruise. I practically had to beg my husband to go, and even after nearly two years, he's still talking about it, and recommending it to everyone. My boys are in their early to mid twenty's and they absolutely loved it. We were on the Radiance out of Vancouver. We decided to fly in to Seattle and drove to Vancouver. We did the helicopter/trek on the glacier, horseback riding in the Yukon and our boys (men) had blast. We also loved the self-adjusting pool tables on Radiance. Another thing about the crowd that I wanted to mention was that it was half and half. Many were in the late to mid thirties. The rest were like us, late 40s and early 50s, but I donít go on a cruise for the crowd. Iíve been on Carnival, and hate the atmosphere. But we enjoyed seeing the beauty of Alaska. If youíre looking to just party, I would not recommend it. But if you want to have a wonderful experience, with beauty, history, and adventure, Alaska is it. It was for us, a wonderful experience, and we hope to go back.
Thank you for the advise, that is great to hear. We can drive to seattle so that makes it really great logistically for us. I will decide after the first of the year and I will let you all know!

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, atmosphere, carnival, cruise, cruises, party, people