Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 01:07 PM

I am considering a transatlantic cruise next spring (2008), but am concerned about rough weather on the days at sea. Does anyone have experience with transatlantic crossings in April or May?
Old 08-29-2007, 01:07 PM

I am considering a transatlantic cruise next spring (2008), but am concerned about rough weather on the days at sea. Does anyone have experience with transatlantic crossings in April or May?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:24 PM

We were on a transatlantic from Miami-Athens last year (April-May)and it was perfectly smooth and the weather was warm the entire time. It can be rough but just take the wrist bands and wear them...you will be fine if it is rough occasionaly. It is the best cruise we have been on yet. We cruise often and I loved this one on NCL. It is so relaxed with no set times and no required formal wear. You should book it !!!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:36 PM
We did tranatlantic in April 2006 and in 2007. Weather was great, warm and sunny. First sea day out of Florida was the roughest on the Atlantic, but not enough to make us sick. Otherwise the Atlantic was smoothest sailing I've ever encountered. The Mediterranean portion was actually rougher both times.

Need some cruise help?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:11 PM

The weather really can vary on the Atlantic. We did a 19 day Grand Princess transatlantic in April 2006 and have perfect weather with glassy seas the entire trip. This past April (07) we did another transatlantic on the Jewel of the Seas and ran into a horrible storm that stayed with us the entire way across the ocean. At one point we had 3 straight days of seas that were in excess of 30 feet, and they were never able to fill the pools or spas during the crossing. One problem is that unlike cruises in the Caribbean where they can change the itinerary if the weather is really bad, on the transatlantics (and transpacifics) they really cannot make major changes in course because of their schedule. On the Jewel cruise the Captain did make some course changes to get us out of the worst of the seas, but he could not get totally out of the storm because he needed to be in Amsterdam by a certain date.

Hank
Old 09-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Hey Hank, we were on the Grand Princess cruise in 2006. In 2007 we were on the Norwegian Jewel, also to Funchal and the Med, and it was just like the cruise the year before. But your 2007 cruise was further north so that may have made some difference as well.

Need some cruise help?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:04 PM

The 2007 cruise (left FTL on 4/15) was just one of those bad luck trips. You might recall there was a huge storm that swept across the USA in early April and caused a lot of problems (snow, rain, wind, etc). The storm than continued all the way across the Atlantic (it was a real monster storm) until it hit Ireland. The ships that left on 4/14 and 4/15 and took the more Northern route (past Bermuda) got caught with no escape. We had a friend on another RCI ship that left on 4/16, followed a similar route, but missed most of the storm. Personally, we have no problem with the rough weather and it even helps me get more sleep since the motion becomes hypnotic and relaxing. But, we did really feel bad for the passengers that were ill since there was no end to the rough seas for more than 3 days. We still love to do the transatlantics and plan to keep taking 2 a year (fall and spring).

Hank
Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 PM

Thank you all for your responses. They were very helpful. My mother and I have booked the April 20 transatlantic cruise on the Jewel. We decided that we will take our chances with the weather and hunker down if it gets too bad.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 PM

My wife and I will be on the Navigator sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale on 4/12/08. I't our first transatlantic also. We're really looking forward to the new cruise experience.

Sonny
Old 10-12-2007, 09:23 AM

You must be careful with these transatlantics. They can become horribly addicting! We did our first transatlantic soone after retirement and are now at a point where we need our "fix." We learned from other transatlantic fanatics about a method with our air arrangements. We book both a Spring and a Fall transatlantic and buy a round-trip air ticket to Europe (covers both cruises). This avoids the problem of finding a decent one-way fare.

Hank

Closed Thread

Tags
addictive, april, atlantic, clothes, crossing, cruise, cruises, cruising, florida, madeira, review, reviews, smoothest, temperture, transatlantic, weather