Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 04:26 PM

Hey everybody! in june 08 , it will be my very first trip on a cruise ship! hihihihihi so i really don't know when to give tips; i'd be thankful if someone could give me advices.
Moreover, i will be cruising alone ( I'm a 24 young looking male) and i just read from the many posts here that we meet people very easily on a cruise, right?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:40 PM

Hello Desi!
In many cases, tips are automatically charged to your purchases, however, tipping is encouraged for outstanding service from stewards, waiters or other service people. This is how they make their living, so if they are doing above and beyond to make your cruise memorable, feel free to tip. Our room steward was AWESOME! So we would tip him just about every night when he did his turn-down service for us. Carnival also will leave you an envelope on the last night of your cruise to tip your Main dining room Matre'D. Although he does not do any of the serving in the main dining room, he is responsible for making all the servers and dining experience the best it can be, so in essence, he most definately plays a "behind the scenes" role in your main dining room.

A ship can be a place where you can feel bombarded by "extra" costs. Depending on your budget and the types of things you want to spend your money on, you can adjust your cruise habits accordingly. With drinks, we really found it convenient to get our non-alcoholic drinks (iced tea, lemonade, etc) from the informal dining room dispensers (which are free). On the pool deck, there is always a pitcher of ice water & glasses to serve yourself. If you are a big soda drinker, you might want to consider purchasing a fountain card which will give you an unlimited supply of soda pop from any of the servers, bars or dining rooms. I did notice a handful of people bring along a case of their favorite soda as well to supply their craving for the carbonated stuff. We really didn't order alcoholic drinks much, but they can really beef up the balance on your sign n' sail card if you're not careful.

Hope this is helpful! If you have more Q's, just ask. We were first time cruisers, but learned a TON from the folks on this forum.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:47 PM

I forgot to address your question about meeting people. A cruise can be a place to meet a lot of different kinds of people, yes.
I guess it all depends on what kind of meeting you are talking about. If you are looking for a single person (female/male) for a "relationship", you might find that the other people on the cruise are not in the same category of interests. There are many couples, families, and older people, along with single people, but I would think that single cruisers are in the minority. Post on the Roll Call. You might meet someone with your same interests even before to embark the ship!
Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:37 AM

There have been many topics about the "tipping" issue. Just use the "Find" icon at the top of the page to find many different tipping posts.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:07 PM

thanks Elnbluesman and Drlivingston for your answers! I have more questions to ask:
1) how much would you tip your room steward a day? like 1$USD ( loool), 2 dollars, or more? if more, how much, if he turns to be great?
2) and generally, how much do u tip a waiter, and other service people?
thanks for answering cause i don't have any clue!
Old 01-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Which cruise are you going on?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:58 AM

Majesty of the seas, June 09 to 13th from Miami;
I read in this forum that most of the cruises are very crowded; is it true?

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, easy, meet